Education store prices in store? [UK]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vitaminz, Jan 20, 2010.

1. vitaminz macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro (I know, updates soon - but I need it asap), and I'm a University student and can get the education discount.

I'm looking to go to the Apple Store tomorrow to pick one up, however I want to know if the same discount applies in store? A friend of mine bough a Mac Mini there and said to me he got a discount after he shown them his University ID, and I'm just wondering if the discount is the same as the on online.

Thanks

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Discount varies from item to item, but is basically the same as the online education store.

The big difference is warranty. If you purchase online your Mac is automatically covered by the HE National Contract, giving you three years coverage (ie: AppleCare but without the telephone support). You can pay a £50ish uplift fee which upgrades you to on-site/collection support for technical problems, saving you trips to a repair location.

If you buy in store, you get the standard one year warranty. AppleCare can be purchased at a discounted rate however, but it doesn't have the on-site/collection option.

Personally, I recommend buying online if you can, if only for the warranty upgrade.