Education store query with student id

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Walkaa, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Walkaa macrumors member

Basically my sis has graduated in the summer however still has a valid student id until 2010, due to enrolling on a 4 year course then moving to a 3 year one. obviously she cant access the uni's network to purchase, so would she be able to get the HE discount over the phone for a shiny new 27" iMac?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably. They don't really check, although over the phone would be more of a "risk" than at the store since then you'll just have to show the ID. They might wonder if you don't give them a student e-mail (...@whatever.edu) but they'll still probably give it to you.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

why can't she access the network? i graduated a few years ago and still have access to my school website and all the discounts. that's how i got premier pricing on my iphone

4. Walkaa thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys, over the phone does seem slightly more risky but as its quad core she wants to get her order in a make customisations which i dont think are possible in store. she may well be able to access her uni email still not 100% sure.

Reply to alent1234: not sure quite how the uni stuf works, could you please explain the way in which you do it so my sister can try it.

thanks again

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would just go into the store personally. At most they just want the student ID.

6. Walkaa thread starter macrumors member

Being a couple of hours from a store in the uk by the way. do you know if they have quad-core iMacs in yet or when they are likey to arrive.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I graduated and my student ID was good for 8 more months after the fact. I used it until it was no longer valid. A valid school ID with a date is all they want so until it was expired I felt very compelled to use it.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. stores are still reporting not having them.

9. Walkaa thread starter macrumors member

Right well she can still access her emails blah blah but i don't see how this corresponds to still being able to purchase through higher ed store unless its different in the US, please explain alent1234.

10. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

If your in the Uk, the best option is probably going to be ordering online to avoid any issues and get the best discount.

I believe the Uni specific Stores and the NUS store have higher discounts then instore, at least from what I found when I was checking.

She probably has her NUS Extra card, so the easy option would be to log into the NUS Extra Site and follow the Link to the Apple HE store from there.

That site can be accessed from anywhere, and once your there, they don't ask for any other confirmation. I recently ordered My Macbook through that link, and was not asked for any proof of student ID throughout the process.

If your Unable to Accces it, PM me and I'll Shoot the link to you.

11. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

yeah she'll be fine, they never noticed with my sis [​IMG]

12. HBOC macrumors 68020

when i bought my AppleCare last week, I took my student ID, and they looked at it, and that was that.

13. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

I'm a college student in the uk (17). You have to be 18 to order from the education store online. I have an Id, could I order over the phone with this or go to a store to get the discount??

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

In the UK, they can scan your ID in the store. I don't know how that'll affect you, but it means it's much less risky if you're unsure to order over the phone (not use the store, as stated by some posters near the start of the topic).

Over the phone they don't check your ID, obviously. If computer says no in store, it says no.

15. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

When I was working for a University here in the US, I showed that I had it with me, and that was enough, never really checked it that closely