Education Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juani, Aug 15, 2007.

1. juani macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am planning on buying a MBP from the education store. The thing is, I know a person who is a college student and has his student Id (and has never bought anything from apple). Can I use my credit card to buy it (we are not even related, we are just friends) and send it to his home? How does apple check the eligibility?
    we both live in the US by the way...

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

From what I've heard about the online EDU store, Apple checks randomly. However, I suppose that using a credit card with a different name would probably raise some eyebrows. Why not give him a check?

3. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

nahhh...i bought mine with a friends card and still got the discount.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm guessing a lot of people are able to do it without trouble, but I'm sure that you are more likely to get caught if you have different last names. Either way, I still don't see what's wrong with giving your friend a check?

5. juani thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all... and what if my friend has already graduated (but she still has her student id). Does the educational discount apply?

6. shecky Guest

shecky

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ditto. It's all a matter of chance.

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's 'cheque'. I guess you are American.

To the OP, I agree about just giving your friend a cheque.

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Check is the recognized and correct spelling in Amer. English for most uses.

Here in Canada, cheque is the proper format, but all too often check is used in it's place.

10. The General macrumors 601

I have never bought a computer from Apple other than through the Education store. They have never checked for me. I have bought around 10 Macs in the past 3 years.

You will be okay. :)

EDIT: Make that 11 for the MBP I just ordered 5 minutes ago. :D

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well I gave myself away didn't I:p Either way, stop acting French! Vous parlez la langue de al france quand vous parlez "cheque."

Either way, I notice the OP hasn't responded to our "cheque" suggestion:rolleyes:

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

In 2005 at the Quakerbridge Mall, NJ Apple Store; I bought my iBook and the guy there gave me some great stuff. He knew I was not a college student (I was 14), but gave me the whole thing. I walked out of there paying $2000 then had rebates. I got my iBook with 1.5GB RAM for $1250, AppleCare for I think $150, iPod Color for free, Printer for free, Free .Mac for 2 years. Most of it was free after rebate. I would rather buy my stuff at the store because the people in there are really nice and look at me, I got free stuff!!