Education Store

juani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all. I am planning on buying a MBP from the education store. The thing is, I know a person who is a college student and has his student Id (and has never bought anything from apple). Can I use my credit card to buy it (we are not even related, we are just friends) and send it to his home? How does apple check the eligibility?
we both live in the US by the way...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
From what I've heard about the online EDU store, Apple checks randomly. However, I suppose that using a credit card with a different name would probably raise some eyebrows. Why not give him a check?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
nahhh...i bought mine with a friends card and still got the discount.
I'm guessing a lot of people are able to do it without trouble, but I'm sure that you are more likely to get caught if you have different last names. Either way, I still don't see what's wrong with giving your friend a check?

juani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Thank you all... and what if my friend has already graduated (but she still has her student id). Does the educational discount apply?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
From what I've heard about the online EDU store, Apple checks randomly. However, I suppose that using a credit card with a different name would probably raise some eyebrows. Why not give him a check?
I'm guessing a lot of people are able to do it without trouble, but I'm sure that you are more likely to get caught if you have different last names. Either way, I still don't see what's wrong with giving your friend a check?
It's 'cheque'. I guess you are American.

To the OP, I agree about just giving your friend a cheque.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I have never bought a computer from Apple other than through the Education store. They have never checked for me. I have bought around 10 Macs in the past 3 years.

You will be okay. :)

EDIT: Make that 11 for the MBP I just ordered 5 minutes ago. :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It's 'cheque'. I guess you are American.
Well I gave myself away didn't I:p Either way, stop acting French! Vous parlez la langue de al france quand vous parlez "cheque."

Either way, I notice the OP hasn't responded to our "cheque" suggestion:rolleyes:

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
In 2005 at the Quakerbridge Mall, NJ Apple Store; I bought my iBook and the guy there gave me some great stuff. He knew I was not a college student (I was 14), but gave me the whole thing. I walked out of there paying $2000 then had rebates. I got my iBook with 1.5GB RAM for $1250, AppleCare for I think $150, iPod Color for free, Printer for free, Free .Mac for 2 years. Most of it was free after rebate. I would rather buy my stuff at the store because the people in there are really nice and look at me, I got free stuff!!