Education version of FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

Can anyone with an educational version of FCP Studio 2 please tell me if their FCP startup screen or the 'about FCP window' displays the word 'education' or 'academic'?
    I am trying to determine if my copy of FCP is a retail version or an educational version.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If it's an educational version, it'll say Academic.

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Yep, there'll be an Academic sticker on the box. The versions also have different part numbers, so you could look that up, too.

4. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about on the startup screen or the about FCP window?
    I do not have the big box it came in.
    There is a small box that contains all of the install disks and it says fcp version 2 retail, but the serial number begins with the letter E, so it's confusing.
    None of the manuals or disks say anything about it being an educational version.

5. c0052350 macrumors member

mine did not

This is going a bit back in time, when I purchased the Production Suite (pre fcs naming) from the education website the version I received had no indication that it was an academic version nothing on box or splash screens I was also able to take advantage of the unversal binary fcs 1 cross over program and I have recently upgraded to the fcs 3 retail version.
    This is in the UK it seems that I received the retail version but paid an academic price

6. arri macrumors newbie

Academic Splash Screen

i've seen the Academic startup window, and it will indeed flash a big Academic splash screen on startup. you can't miss it.

s

7. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Where did you buy it?

Are they original discs from Apple? Do you have the Key?

If so, call Apple...they'll let you know from S/N.

I don't think it's obvious from any of the bootscreens, if that's your question. My retail FCP only shows "Licensed to" with my name, business and key. There is no "Pro" version or "Retail"....and I don't recall my brother's machine (He's a teacher) being different, and we edit on his quite a bit (Academic version).

J

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I assume Pro looks like this as well. (No, not the fuzzy serial # and name. :p I did that myself so people don't go stealing my second "seat". It's saved for my Mac Pro when I get it. :))

Attached Files:

9. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I hope that FCP is similar because mine definitely doesn't say academic on the startup screen.