Educational Discount for International Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brunarich, Jan 18, 2011.

1. brunarich macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been reading the forum and finally decided to register and ask for the members opinion on my doubt.

I'm an university student from Brazil and I'm going to spend 6 weeks on UK, and I'm planning on getting my first macbook pro there. The thing is, I REALLY want that educational discount, and I don't know if my english school documents confirming that I'm a student there are enough.. I do have a ISIC card, and I wanna know if all of those, plus my student card from my uni back from Brazil are enough for me to get the discount.. can any of you help on this matter? :) Thanks in advance.

ps: I know there was a thread about this issue, but I thought it was so old no one would answer me back, so sorry if I did wrong posting a new one.

2. InsiderApps macrumors member

If you have an ISIC card, you should be fine getting one in an Apple store for about 8-13% discount (depends per model).

If you are going to a part of the UK which has a KRCS store (http://www.krcs.co.uk), you may be able to get one there (make sure they have stock) for the best discount of about 15%.

3. brunarich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'm getting on the plane today and I feel a little better knowing that I'll be able to at least get some kind of discount, and since I can get my VAT refound on my way back, it'll be a great help!

Thanks a lot :)

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Technically you are not entitled to the UK Higher Education Agreement (which gives ~13% off and a 3 year warranty) as you have to be enrolled in a UK institution.

However, if you go to a store and smile nicely you could probably get the discount available to a wide range of students/pupils which is around 5%. Or if you are really lucky you could get even more!

5. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

yeah, you'll be able to get your student discount.

I got my Apple Australia student discount as well, I put in my uni on the Online Store and when my iMac was delivered they didn't check for any ID. However I guess your student card would be sufficient proof for enrolment. I guess an ISIC card would suffice too... or go to the UK Online Store and see if you can see your education institute on the selection list.

And I'm not sure about UK's tourist tax return... but when you're over there and a new MBP is going to be released soon and you're willing to wait for a while, you may be eligible to get the tax refunded when you go back to Brazil.