Educational Discount in store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Jun 20, 2007.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Hi. My wife is a teacher, and so she qualifies for the Educational Store discount. We've bought a couple of things through the online Educational Store. We want to buy a computer at a retail store.

Here are my questions:
    1. Does the educational discount extend to retail stores?
    2. If so, can I go to a store in a different state (i.e., that has a favorable tax rate)?
    3. What "proof" do you need to bring to qualify for the educational discount in a retail store?

Thanks everyone. Sorry if these are newbie questions.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1. Yes, on hardware only, not on software
    2. Yes
    3. Drivers License and School ID.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't know about the state thing, but all you need to do is show idenfication for student its either a student ID or class schedule or acceptance letter.
    When you check out they will adjust the price.

4. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

I do the in store edu discount quite often on hardware. Just did the get a iPod Macbook deal last week. Don't know about the different state. I could see some confusion perhaps as to why you would be in a different state than where your school ID is from. But shouldn't be a problem.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There's no problem with going to a different state. I used to live in MA and drive up to NH to go to the Apple store all the time.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i can't see the state thing being a big deal. what if you lived right on the border of 2 states. your school or home is in state A. closest Apple store in state A is 60 miles away, but 5 miles away over the line in state B is a mall with an Apple store. i highly doubt they'll tell you to turn around and drive 65 more miles to save a few bucks. it's not a high enough priced item where you'd have to pay your normal state sales tax (like buying a car).

just bring school ID and photo ID to the store and you'll be fine.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

they don't care about where the school is - i saw some folks from colorado get an edu discount in los angeles at one of the stores here. ymmv depending on who you get, but if there is any issue, ask for the manager, and maybe you want to call in advance to see if it's okay..

that being said, i find it slightly amusing that you mentioned your wife is a teacher but some people here are saying "student ID"...:p

8. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

is the applecare warranty discounted in stores as well, or just online?

9. zinj macrumors member

yes it is discounted in stores. at least they tried to sell it to me at the discounted rate when i bought my MBP

10. janey macrumors 603

janey

you can get the edu discount on that anytime while it's still valid to purchase for the hardware.