Educational Discount in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chezidek, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Chezidek macrumors newbie

Hey. In two weeks I get enough money to buy a new mac, I'm a student and I'm 18 and I was wondering if I was eligible for the educational discount. I'm in Full time education at a 6th form college and would like to go to the Apple Store nearest me and buy my new macbook pro, can anyone confirm if I can go to my local apple store with my credit card, driving license and my college ID and get the discount?:)

Thanks in Advance

2. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

You will get the discount yes.

It's possible to purchase through the online education store with no ID of any kind at all to prove you're a student. Terrible thing to do mind.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

This is not entirely true. They do do spot checks.

The Apple Store in London will give you the discount I believe. Take something showing your age and enrollment in a college.

4. NStocks macrumors 65816

do you have to be 18 or older, are they really strict on this because I'm only 17 but I start my 2nd year in college. Has anyone under 18 still got their discount?

NStocks

5. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

if you do it online they may not even ask, so if you are 18 soon then just get it anyway because then you will be able to prove once they do ask. but if you buy it from the apple store, ie like one in bluewater/london etc then you will need to have some proof of everything, although you can get someone to buy it on your behalf (if you read the terms and conditions)

6. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

if you have an NUS card (even an ascociates NUS card will do) you wont need to worry about spot checks

7. Chezidek thread starter macrumors newbie

I would order it online, but I'm going away for a few days the day after I get the money so I'd rather have it for then :p
    Thanks for the replies

8. muldul macrumors 6502

I didn't think it counted 6th form as eligable, i could be wrong, and if your already 18, wouldn't you be starting university soon? Use your admission letter as proof.

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If this is for HE discount then parents can buy on behalf of their children who qualify (ie are students). This appears to cover the students under 18 issue - although I suppose it also covers the 70 year parent who can also buy for their 45 year old student son/daughter !!!

10. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm 18 in November, and I will be qualifying for further education discount. I go to college, which I understand is different sompared to how things are done in the states, 16-18 year olds go to college for further education after school. Higher education if for 18 years and older.

NStocks

11. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Phone Apple on 0800 048 0408 and find out whether you qualify for the HE discount - your age is irrelevant (you can be 16 and a full-time student at University and so qualify for HE or you could be 60 - what is important is whether your college qualifies for the HE discount. Only Apple can tell you whether you qualify for the HE or FE discount......

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

Further to what logana quite rightly said, whether you qualify Higher Education discount is dependent on whether your institution has signed up to Apple’s HE agreement.

Although the bulk of these institutions under the scheme are universities, not all are – for example, there are a few art institutes, FE colleges, drama schools and city academies.

As well as a bigger price discount, sales via the HE route come with a free three-year parts and labour limited warranty (which can be upgraded to full Applecare for about £70).

One word of warning, there can be a lot of confusion amongst Apple staff when calling to enquire about this (there was a very long thread about the UK HE store, which posters claimed there were given contrary information).

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The AppleCare upgrade from the HE 3 year warranty for MacBooks and MacBook Pro's is £58 (it is either £49 or £50 plus VAT). Has to be bought at the same time as the machine (purchase it before the end of the 12 month Apple warranty and it is full price !)

Best bet is to phone - if you qualify for HE discount it is well worth it.

14. NStocks macrumors 65816

Well I'm not aware that my college is in any sort of agreement with Apple, buts its worth a try. When I rung up the Apple store in Sehffield, they told me I will qualify for Further Education, but that was in my first year of studying.I will ring again, when/if the iPod offer comes to the UK, but no matter what I will be getting a iMac before the end of September... I hope.

NStocks

15. Igantius macrumors 65816

Just going on memory - I'll take your word for it!

Obviously, if you've an Apple Centre or authorised reseller where you can drop off the machine for repair, the uplift is of questionable value.

To be honest, most places don't tend to broadcast loudly that they're in the Apple HE agreement. As I said, it does tend to be universities that make up the bulk of institutions in it - but the main reason I mentioned it is quite a few people assume that only university students qualify for the HE discount.

16. Tutankhamark macrumors member

I am 17 in 6th form. I went to the Apple Store in Sheffield and just told them I was in 6th form and I got 12% off without any ID or any proof of age. BTW the online educational discount is much lower than the one in store. I think the one online is around 7-8%. I got a Macbook from £830 to around £730.

Good luck with your purchase!:)

17. Sulis macrumors newbie

For future clarification there is

a) The Education Discount, available online with no proof of anything, indeed around 7-8%.

b) The Further Education Discount, available (technically) with proof to anyone studying in a further education institution - normally a sixth form college. Full list of institutions here: http://www.apple.com/uk/education/fe/. This is around 11-12%.

c) The Higher Education Discount, available (technically) with proof to anyone studying in a higher education institution - normally a university. This is around 14-15%.

18. logana macrumors 65816

logana

And also for clarification - none of these discounts apply online for the Refurb Store !!

19. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

I walked into the Apple store last November and purchased a macbook with educational discount and they didn't even ask for any proof, though I had it with me in case. I was 16 then but look at least a year, maybe two, older. Guess they're not that strict!

20. Chezidek thread starter macrumors newbie

Found out I qualify for the FE Discount, that will be nice, I can buy a nice case for my macbook pro now :p

21. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Just a minute

Just came back from the Apple store and they said that they only give the education discount and not the HE agreement one in store. Absolutely crazy. So I walk into the store with ID and no sale, I go home and can get the cheaper price no questions asked.

Apple has gone nuts.

22. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Which Apple Store was this ?

UK stores don't normally have a problem with HE discount .....