Educational Discount in US

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnsmclean, May 29, 2011.

1. johnsmclean macrumors member

Hi
    We get about 13% educational discount in UK. If I were to buy a MacBook pro in US what discount to is offered if you are iin education ?

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It varies depending on what you buy. US students get a set amount off, not a percentage. Take the 13" MBP, they get 100$ off.

Remember that in the UK students get a free 3 year warranty when they buy online, no need to buy AppleCare. So factor that into the price!

UK students can get the US discount when visiting, but you may have to smile nicely!

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The 3 year warranty is only if bought via your uni through a Campus Agreement. It does not apply if you buy through the general online store.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

^ Yes you are right, but I took that as read. How would Apple know you are a student if you didn't use the student part of the website! Plus that's how you get the ~14% discount.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

It depends on your uni - some have to use the bog standard educational store, which just gives you a little off and no extra warranty, Im one of the lucky ones with a Campus Agreement that gets me up to 20% off (I got about 20% off the total value of my Mac Pro by using it, Im pretty sure the discount also varies slightly from uni to uni as others get different prices on the same products)

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

The vast majority of UK students are covered by the HE contract which gives the 3 year warranty. I have a list somewhere and pretty much every UK uni is on it.

The discount does vary a bit, 20% is pretty good! The normal is a bit less, at about ~14% (although the Mac Pro often seems to offer a higher discount compared to cheaper Macs, the more you pay the more you save!). I believe there is a link to how much your uni spends on Apple stuff!

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Thats assuming the OP is at Uni, Enough students are at sixth form,or below who are entitled to the smaller discount and don't qualify for the warranty.

8. LouiTheFish macrumors newbie

Re:

You MUST be a US student in order to get the discount in the US. You can be a foreign citizen but you need an ID for a USA based educational institution in order to get the discount in-store.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

To me 6th form isn't student it's pupil. Maybe I'm biased, but 6th form is just voluntary school to me! I assume student means uni.

Most UK 6th formers get the standard ~4% only. A few FE establishments have a special agreement with Apple, but they are not usually part of the National HE Contract scheme and so the terms vary greatly.

The UK student discount is great in that it can offer massive savings a warranties, but they do manage it make it pretty complex!

That's the official rule. However, smiling nicely enough can get you a discount. I've known all sorts of people get some money off just by being friendly and trying their luck.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Its still called a student discount however, so the OP may be a sixth-former. I'd also class A-Levels as more being in-between School and Uni, since you have more freedom but not the same amount as at Uni, and not much if any booze.

And the Apple Store will accept a valid UK student ID in the USA to purchase products with an academic discount. Or at least, they did when I bought a MacBook out there a few years ago. (This was a Sixth Form ID made of laminated plastic, so not exactly impressive or even particularly legit-looking, I reckon the accent sold it).

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Bah! Lazy 6th Formers don't know what it is to be a student! They don't deserve the title! Student status is earned in those initial weeks at university, where only the toughest survive! :D

If they want to use the title student they should respect their elders by prefacing it with "6th form", "FE" or "college" to show their inferior status. ;)

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

haha I think I may start enforcing this when I get home from uni... especially since your right, The week post freshers week where you have to learn stuff and get work done while still either drunk or hungover is definitely the earner of Student status. You also gain the look :D