Educational Discount on Memory at the Apple store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdgolom, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I went into the Apple Store to purchase a 13" MBP. Since I didn't want to hassle with upgrading the memory, I opted to have them upgrade from 2GB to 4GB. If I got to Apple's website the memory upgrade is $90 with the education discount (normally $100). When the salesperson rang it up, it didn't show the discount. When I questioned him about the discount, he said there was no discount on memory. I asked him to check and he came back and said there was nothing in the book about the discount (he wasn't allowed to show me the book). When I purchased a Mac Mini 3 months ago in the store, they gave me the discount on the memory.

Does anyone know if the educational discount carries over to the store like it does on the web? I realize it's only $10, but I'm still curious.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Apple's retail stores should have the same prices as the online store, including with memory upgrades.

He shouldn't have used "the book". It shows if individual components can be discounted. He was right -- if you had come in off the street and were *only* looking to purchase RAM, then you couldn't get an educational discount.

However, if you buy a new Mac and choose to get the RAM upgraded in the store, the cost of the RAM should be eligible for the discount. It should match the online price. "The book" doesn't specify that.

3. mdgolom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's what I tought. He tried asking the manager, but he was on the phone with an irate customer. He came back and said it wasn't worth arguing over $10.00 and gave me the discount. The store was packed and he was the only one doing computer sales, so I think he was just having an off day. It's the first time I've every had that type of attitude from an Apple employee.

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

At least you got the discount that you deserved. Every one has an off day now and then.