Educational Discount Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Pengapine, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Pengapine macrumors member

Question around Educational Discount-

I am buying my brother a MBA for his late graduation present. Am I eligible to use it since I am buying it for him? Is there a way for him to not find out about it while using the discount? I tried looking at the forum and can't find any answers.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Educational discounts are for students, so if you are not a student, strictly speaking you are not eligible. Apple tends to be very relaxed at checking the eligibility however.

3. Pengapine thread starter macrumors member

No that completely makes sense. I think that I do fall into the "parents purchasing mac for their student category," which would make me eligible. I am just not sure if there's any way to apply the discount without him finding out beforehand (a surprise gift obviously).

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I wish I had a brother! haha

Just buy it online through the education store and use his school to make sure you're all elligible. He wouldn't be notified or anything.

I have heard of them doing 'audits' before, but I personally have never been questioned.

EDIT - Optionally, Best Buy matches student discounts (more or less) and gives you a $100 Best Buy gift card. So that's also an option (I did this last year).

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me put it another way.
    You walk into an apple store to buy a MBA. They'll ask for your student id, if you don't have one they'll not give you the education discount regardless of who its for.

6. Spoonz macrumors member

Not strictly true I suppose:

"To qualify for the Student Gift Card offer and to get special pricing on a Mac at the Apple Online Store for Education, you must be a university student, a student accepted to a university, a parent buying for a university student, or a faculty or staff member from any level."

Pose as a parent :3