Educational Discount question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JBaker122586, Jun 20, 2008.

1. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

In December, I bought a new iMac using the Apple Educational Discount (I'm a student). Now it's almost July, and I need an MBP for next semester. I know the computer discount is a "once a year" type thing.. but is that calendar year or a year from your last purchase?

If you're supposed to wait a year from the last purchase, do they have a record to know it hasn't been? I can't remember what information I had to give them in December.

I'm not trying to scam Apple out of a $200 discount, but I need this laptop to take a course that will significantly increase my portfolio in the last year before I graduate. It's no big deal if it won't work for whatever reason, as my sister is also a student and my mom works for a high school (high school employees also get the discount), I just don't want to end up getting turned down at the store and have to go home and get my mom or sister.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

Purchase Quantity
    Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
    4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
    5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
    6. Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
    7. iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

so youre fine, you can purchase one imac, one mbp, and one mini each year if you so desire

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No worries my friend; I've bought 5 laptops this year so far and they don't care; just don't expect to get away with buying like 50 (they might think you're starting a business), but a few is fine; they are making money off of you nonetheless. In fact each time you can buy a printer as well; however you can only get 1 iPod rebate because it's attached to your name, so for that you will need another person.

4. JBaker122586 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm not interested in buying up all the computers they have, I just work a lot in photo editing and layout, so I went with an iMac in the first place for the screen real estate. Now I realize I need a laptop to more easily do work at home, school, work, and on the go. I'm the kind of person who sees a laptop as more of an accessory than a main computer, so I'm not interested in giving up my desktop for it.

Anyway, looks like I won't have any problems. Thanks to the both of you for your help.

Ugh, I'll be paying Phil Schiller's salary for the next month between a new MBP, 16GB iPhone, 1GB iPod Shuffle, and an 8GB nano for the girlfriend's birthday.