Educational Discount Reduced? (UK)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by superdudeo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

Apologies if this has already been discussed

Does anyone know why the Educational Discount has been reduced? Before you say there are different tiers, I understand that, but I qualify for the maximum amount which should be 14 or 15%. I bought a MBA last November which I received 15% off.

I went in the store and called up yesterday and both quoted 12% off. They even said it's normally 15% when I spoke on the phone. It is because of the back to school promotion?

Thanks

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The HE discount isn't exactly 15%, that's just an approximation a lot of people use because it is easy to do in their heads.

The actual discount varies between models- the more you spend the higher the percentage off. For example, the base MacPro is ~16% off, but the Mac Mini is only ~10%.

Also, last November the MBA was £867 (I think), it has now dropped to £849, so the percentage off will adjust slightly. From what I can see online- base 11" = £849 full price, £729.60 discounted. That's about 14%.

Incidentally if you buy online/phone you get a free warranty, if you buy in store you don't. See my sig.

3. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I did suspect it was maybe to do with higher cost/ higher discount but this still doesn't add up. My MBA was ~£1200 before 15% discount. The iMac I was quoted on was £1399 and both the phone and instore quoted only 12% off?! I can only think they are negating losses from Back To School Promotion in which case it's a bit sly.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Apple can offer any discount, or lack of discount, they please in store. But online/phone they are bound by the contract they signed with the university buying consortium. This will dictate the minimum discount they have to offer, as well as imposing the free 3 year warranty. So online/phone any changes won't be to do with their B2S deal.

5. Woody543 macrumors newbie

It has nothing to do with the initial cost of the product, it is simply the product itself... they may have different profit margins on different products which allows them to offer different discounts. The macbook airs and pros are their biggest selling products. As for the iMac, as far as I know... has always been 12%.

6. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok guys, thanks for your replies. Makes a bit more sense now. At least I know that it's normally 12% for iMacs.