Educational Discount - Registration - same person?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmkcp, Apr 29, 2009.

1. jmkcp macrumors newbie

I think I have an idea of what the answer is to this question, but just wanted to see if anyone else out there can me their two cents worth. Can a bonified student/teacher buy mac hardware using the educational discount, but end up giving it to someone else who will in turn register the computer under a (their) different name? Does this create a scenario where Apple would then revoke the educational discount seeing the person who bought it is in fact not registering the computer? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The name used to purchase a computer has no bearing on the name used to register it.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

yes, they can i asked apple a similar question and they said i could purchase macs using my education discount for others as long as i only purchase 1 notebook and one desktop.:cool:

4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Apple seems to be very lax about giving out their educational discount—frankly, I'm surprised they don't get taken advantage of more often.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

They probably do get taken advantage of more often then you think, but they have real means of tracking this, and certainly won't be releasing the numbers if they do know.

Would you? It would be kind of hard to report to your shareholders "Oh, yeah, we were defrauded 3248 times last year thanks to the education discount, and we're not going to do anything about it."

As Apple gains marketshare, I expect they'll do away with the program or make it much more stringent. I hope it's the latter, as both my wife and I work in education and we would hate to see the program disappear.