Educational Discount Rules

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XplorerMac, Feb 10, 2008.

1. XplorerMac macrumors newbie

XplorerMac

I'm eventually going to buy myself an iMac for school and plan on using the educational discount. I'm just waiting for the next iMac upgrade Apple will eventually release. However, my sister wants to get an iMac next week and I'm wondering if I can save her 50 bucks by using the education discount if I say it's for me when we buy it. My question is how do you prove you're in college when the purchase is made? Do they remember you so you can't get two discounts in the same year?

Thanks

P.S. What do you get if you divide the circumference of a Jack O Lantern by it's diameter?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The bigger problem is that you are only allowed to buy iMac per academic year using the educational discount.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

do they check? cause i did the same and bought my sister a computer and 3 months later i got one. i bought both at the store.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah presumably so that Apple is assured you're buying a Mac for your own "educational" usage and not trying to get discounts for your family and friends. :p

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

They do if you buy them online since the purchase is tied directly to your Apple account. I suppose you might be able to get away with it at an Apple Store just showing educational ID but the rules on one Mac a year are pretty clear cut. Plus I would hate to have that come back and bite me in the posterior when I needed to send one or both in to Apple for service.

At least edu discounts on Apple displays and software are separate. ;)

7. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

wasn't aware of it at the time. they should still be happy with my money. i also did switch somebody.

8. hsadear macrumors member

hsadear

9. ruokay macrumors newbie

Apple didn't check me... twice.

I made 2 purchases in 1 month using Education Discount.

Both were Configure to Order Macbook Pro's.

Saved me about $400 - which in my mind went to the better hard drives I've chosen.

I do have necessary information to prove my enrollment in a college but the point is....... I was never asked to verify.

So, for those who want to use that 'loophole', just select one of the colleges on their list and go on from there.

By the way, I used (1) Apple account with the same credit card.

Well, I guess Apple goes by the "Honor System."

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Taken out of context (no quote of the OP's joke) this seemed like the strangest of non-sequiturs. :p

Funny joke though.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Oh they're plenty happy with your money. :p

It's just that if they DO catch it on audit I suppose they may charge for the difference of the discount. I'd say it's a low-risk proposition but possible.

12. ruokay macrumors newbie

If they really do check, it's most definitely going to be at a Store.