Educational Discount used by relative

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by windstarfy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

Hi.

Following from my previous question about when to buy the Macbook Pro I have in mind, I have decided to get it after Macworld.

However, I am a university student in New Zealand. I am currently in China on vacation. I have asked a relative of mine to buy a Macbook Pro from Hong Kong as it is cheaper over there due to foreign currency etc.

I have a Student ID of my university in New Zealand. Is my relative able to apply for the educational discount in the Hong Kong online Apple store?

According to
    Code:
    http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/9599-apple-education-discount-your-questions-answered.html
    it's possible. I guess I could get him to call instead... Then again they do permit parents to buy on behalf of students. Can a relative also work? Has anyone successfully verified like this?

2. ccolaco macrumors 6502

Technically, a 7 year old kid who knows how to navigate a website can acess the online education store on apple's website and purchase the hardware. Just pick any University and it will take you to the store. I knwo this is the case for the Canadian University online store, not sure about anywhere else.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Try the online Apple store for Hong Kong or even New Zealand and select the student discount. The Apple Store for Hong Kong is only available for students in Hong Kong and so as New Zealand....But I guess you could check and see...

4. windstarfy thread starter macrumors member

windstarfy

I guess I'll just get him to buy it from HK anyway, since even without the discount in HK store, it will be cheaper than the NZ educational store price due to foreign currency.

Any more help is greatly appreciated! :D

5. JasO macrumors regular

I think you have to be a student of the particular country you are applying for. If you went to America i think you would have to be an actual student of one of the schools/universities to be eligible for the discount.

They could have some sort of universal student deal though! So give them a call and see, it can't hurt.