Educational fun...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Brewerpaul, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Last night we had some family members over for New Years and we played a Trivial Pursuit type of board game (but based on L.DaVinci). One of the answers to one of the questions sounded interesting so on the spot I pulled out my Touch and Googled the topic. It concerned a cantilever bridge, and I easily found pictures to show exactly what that is. We did that often throughout the game and it REALLY enhanced our enjoyment of the game and we all learned a lot in the process. I appreciate this little device more and more every day.

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

One item showing my appreciation of the Touch...

One recent event impressed the heck out of of my 80s-something mom who still doesn't understand the concept of a TV with a remote control much less a computer or the internet. This event really shows the power of the internet rather than the Touch, but my Touch was the tool I used.

I was at her house and her neighbor's wireless connection bleeds into my mom's house and the neighbor allows me to use her internet for the Touch when I am at my mom's.

I asked my mom to think of anything memorable she saw on TV a LONG time ago and I could probably find it. She said Tiny Tim getting married on the Johnny Carson show and viola, had it in seconds. She almost dropped right there.

So, like you, I appreciate this little pocket-sized toy every day.

Most here probably have no idea who Tiny Tim is and I bet more than a few youngin's don't even know Johnny Carson. (Leno took over for Carson 16 years ago...Carson had the job since the early 60s)

Anyway, Tiny Tim on Carson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjso0rPncc

Mike

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Has it gotten that bad already?? I turn 44 in January and of course I remember Tiny Tim. I've been living in Japan for the past 15 years so the Tonight Show still means Carson to me.

Now if you want to talk OLD your name reminded me that I was watching The Marx Brother's other classic movie, Horse Feathers, on Hulu the other day. 1932, now THAT's old.. By the way, you can get clips on Youtube for viewing on your iPod Touch but the whole movie's available on Hulu and highly recommended. Some of the college football references to special rules for amateur players remain remarkably current.

4. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I wasn't directing the Tiny Tim/Carson stuff at your age-group. Me be talking the teens and 20-somethings. A percentage of them know Carson but I reckon TT is someone they know nothing about.

Thanks for the hulu tip. If free I'll nab it. Can't use the Touch too long else my eyes start hurting so full movies or even TV episodes will be rare.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, I meant "has it gotten that bad that we're outnumbered by the teens and twenty-somethings on here now"? :p

It's quite free and here is a direct link for you: Horse Feathers.

Some of the content on Hulu is offered in a higher quality encoding (I think 480p) but I'm not sure about Horse Feathers. Either way, it is more than watchable full screen.