Educational Gift Card UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gerasimos33, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gerasimos33 macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought a rmbp 13 inch base model today and with educational discount a £60 apple store gift card is provided. The price of rmbp is £847.20 but from my bank account £907.20 was hold (the price of rmbp + gift card).
    Is this normal and I should not worry or should I contact them?

2. Danando1993 macrumors regular

I would contact them if I were you, I bought the same model and was only charged for the laptop and the extra apple care I wanted but not for the gift card.

3. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not charged yet. I haven't received the laptop anyway. They just hold the money but still it is 60 GBP more. I know it's Apple who holds the extra 60 GBP as I haven't used that debit card for a while.

Did you buy with educational discount as well?

4. LuvKaya macrumors member

oh boy, I have until the 9th. Then it expires.

Does Apple give the gift card away every year?

5. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure. If they charge me it's not a gift anyway right? Just a card:cool:

6. lordromanov01 macrumors member

I got a charge for both and then got the £60 back soon afterwards, I believe. I would email to make sure though.

7. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. I should email them.

8. 5to1 macrumors 6502

I know they had it in 2012 as my brother got one with his rMBP. I seem to recall they had it last year aswell.

9. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update: I contacted Apple and they assured me that the £60 will return to my bank account once the transaction is completed.

10. 5to1 macrumors 6502

I think the two come separately from memory. So I guess they hold the £60 to make sure you don't get the Gift Card, spend it and cancel the laptop :/

11. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that's what the lady explained me over the phone. I already received the gift card via email but not the laptop.

12. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Piggyback question:

Are these gift cards transferable ? I bought new machine got a gift card but don't anticipate spending anymore money for quite a while. Though I might trade the card with someone - is that allowed ?

13. keithchegwin macrumors newbie

When is this offer valid until? It says "order by the 9th", does that mean it is still valid on the 9th? Would rather wait to see the keynote, would probably wait for a rMBA if it's announced rather than buy an rMBP now.

14. Giev, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

Giev macrumors member

AFAIK, thats not how it works. On your account you "should" see two transactions:
    - One (Y) for the Laptop itself - Edu Discount - 60 GBP (X-14%-60 = Y)
    - Another transaction for 60 GBP gift card

In the end, you would have got the gift card free of charge and also get the EDU discount, however since the gift card has monetary value by itself they wont give it away for free and charge your account seprately for it. They will however give you an extra 60 GBP discount on the laptop itself to compensate for it.

15. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will wait until I see the transactions on my bank account. At the moment there is just a hold in my account.

16. dneill2006 macrumors newbie

I sold mine for £50.

It's yours to do with what you want.

17. helix21 macrumors regular

So they have dispatched your laptop then? That's when they shipped mine.

Apple billing is really weird here in the UK. For me, as soon as it was dispatched, they look the hold away from my account (I guess, because my 'available balance' shot up to pre-laptop order amounts - nothing on statement). Now it's been shipped for 4 days and I still haven't been charged. I'd have thought they actually charge (not just hold) on shipping.

Did this happen to you too?

Delivery date for me is Wednesday so perhaps they will charge then?

----------

I believe the Apple Store Gift Cards have no expiry dates! So I will be keeping mine safe until late next year when I buy my next iPad.

18. gerasimos33 thread starter macrumors newbie

They have dispatched the laptop although I asked them to push the delay until Monday 15th. I called 4 times and each time I was assured that the delivery date has changed but it wasn't really until today. I received an email that my delivery date has changed but the apple store is down at the moment so I can't check. I wanted to change the delivery date because I live in Cyprus actually and I am studying in UK but I wanted to have the extra £60 :D
    Anyway I will let you know I soon as I receive the rmbp.

19. LuvKaya macrumors member

I ordered today so that I can receive the 100 gift card.