Educational pricing snafu with high end RMBP - get $60 back by calling Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Aug 2, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

For those of you who only became aware of the pricing snafu with the 2.6/512 RMBP after ordering, you can get your $60 back by calling Apple. I just did before my order even shipped.

For those who aren't even aware of what I'm referring to: In the education store, the 2.3/256 model can be customized to 2.6/512 which ends up costing $60 less than if you start right away with the 2.6/512 model. The difference stays the same when you add other upgrades like 16 GB of RAM (as I did).

Edit: Note that this may not work if you have already received your laptop, or especially if you're already past your 14 days of return, removing all leverage. Knowing Apple though I'd be surprised if they don't do it.

2. aislepathlight macrumors member

I can verify that this worked for me as well! If you have ordered but not charged, it cannot be completed (or at least I was told so) - they can't credit you back money you haven't paid.

3. MBrandonLee Suspended

I called and they did nothing. The website seems to be working fine and coming up with the same price, so I don't know how you guys are getting a cheaper price.

4. aislepathlight macrumors member

They changed the prices of the upgrades in the store. Previously, the upgrades saw discounts, such that upgrading the SSD cost $440 rather than $500, which means that if you selected the base model and upgraded, it cost less than selecting the pre-upgraded (which doesn't have discounts on the upgrades).

5. MBrandonLee Suspended

I'm aware of that, I just don't know how people are getting a credit/refund with this.

6. aislepathlight macrumors member

I called yesterday when there was a disparity, and they handled it. I do not know about people calling now.

7. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Interestingly today they stopped discounting the SSD today to make everything equal. That seems non-sensical as they're still giving the same 10% off the CPU and RAM.

When they looked into mine earlier today the SSD was still discounted on the site. So people had more than a day to jump on this deal since it came out.

8. minnus macrumors 6502

the CPU doesn't give 10% off anymore

9. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

you cant get this discount if you are out of 14 days return window

10. MBrandonLee Suspended

Convenient when it took over 14 days for it to ship...

11. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

14 days starts when you receive it.