Resolved EE Complete Plan (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blujelly, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Evening all,

Just wanting some thoughts on the below, seeing as well if anyone else has OR thought of going for this.

So as I can't see the US iPhone Upgrade Program coming to the UK i've noticed that recently EE have added there own version (to a degree).

Rounding things up to make it easier, my current SIM only plan is £20 p/m so over a year its £240. If I were to buy an iPhone every year (64Gb) is £690, assuming the iPhones would stay the same price every year. So as a total its £930 per year.

Now EE complete program is £80 p/m for 24 months with the option to upgrade for free at 12 months (if you do you then refresh the plan for 24 months), this comes with unlimited messages and minutes with 50Gb data and some other bits and bobs :S So assuming you would upgrade every year, thats £80 over 12 months comes to £960.

For this you don't pay any upgrade fee or anything for the iPhone, now my slight advantage is i get 25% of the monthly cost coming to £60 a month so over a year its £720, so of course this cheaper then buying an iPhone for a year then having a year of a SIM only plan. I'm thinking for me personally which i've mentioned before in other posts, the hassle of selling your iPhone etc is sort of worth it for £30, or in my situation it would be £720 for a year meaning a saving of £210.

i can't see any other carriers doing anything like this, i know O2 have refresh but you do have to pay for the iPhone every year you upgrade.

2. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

3. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Yeah I can see the laughter at the monthly cost, just thinking its a cost for both phone and the plan and in my case is £60 a month is cheaper then the other option.

Plus just seeing what others might think with plans which could be like, example sake O2 refresh.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

£80 a month?!? Geez, that's insane.

The 64GB 6S+ is £85/mo + £50 up front.

Given my current tariff of £15 with unlimited data, that would mean I'm paying £70 a month for the phone (£890 inc the up front cost over 12 months, compared to the £699 RRP). The problem is, they've basically got you in a contract paying double for one phone, because when you no longer want to continue, you're going to be locked in for another 12 months - which is basically the price of the phone again.

5. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I'm assuming with my account I don't have to pay anything upfront as I doubled checked with them and they advised I wouldn't.

That is correct they you do refresh the plan just like the iPhone program in the US, but assuming you would be upgrading every year (which I would be) for me at the discounted rates it's cheaper then buying an iPhone every year with the SIM only plan.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Your math is slightly off though.

From Apple, a 64GB iPhone 6S (not plus) is £619.

On EE complete, the same phone is £84.99/mo + £9.99 up front (http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-6s-16gb-space-grey/details#choosePlanAnchor).

If your plan at the moment is £20 (which is fairly average for SIM only plans tbh), that means the phone wrks out at £65 a month. (65*12)+10 = £790 which is £171 more expensive than buying the phone outright and keeping your current plan.

Even with your lower offer price (nothing up front and £5/mo cheaper) it would still work out to be £101 more expensive.

7. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

My math is right my wording is wrong… face palm… talking about the 6s Plus

8. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

£80 a month ?!!!
    I spend about £20 a year on my phone calls and texts.

9. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

10. tarsins macrumors regular

tarsins

O2 do have something similar. Their 30GB plan is £64 per month with £40 upfront for the 6S Plus and includes insurance. They'll upgrade to the latest iPhone after 12 months with no penalty.

11. jonstatt1 macrumors regular

That's not the same. With O2 you have to give the phone back to them!! With EE you get to keep the old phone.

But I don't think you can see this EE tariff as a cheaper way to upgrade. At some point you may want to switch networks or simply not upgrade at the annual point because you decide you don't want another Apple phone and the phone you want is coming out in the Spring......then you will be stuffed because in the former example you will have to pay out a whole year's worth of line rental to escape, and in the second you will end up paying too much for the phone.

12. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Well going by the math I provided it would be cheaper then a SIM only plan and buying an iPhone outright.

I can't see me straing from Apple they'd have to seriously screw over iOS for me to change over to Android.

So it makes sense had them since iPhone 4 can't see it going anytime soon, looking at the bigger picture I can't see me changing this way I just pay a monthly fee and don't have to worry about selling an iPhone every year.

Just return it and get a new with no fee which is the added bonus that O2 doesn't have

13. Azzin macrumors 68040

You're assuming there will be stock available when you want to change your phone...

14. Blujelly thread starter macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Well upgrade in a years time I'd imagine they will. Plus I can get the iPhone next day, so I reckon it will be fine.

15. Azzin macrumors 68040

Yes, fair point.

What I should have said was that it may be an issue for those who want to upgrade on launch day, to get the next handset on launch day, as stock is always so limited.