Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mobile network EE has announced it will launch 5G in the United Kingdom on May 30, beating rival Vodafone's 5G offering which launches in early July.

5G-EE-network.jpg

At a London press event this morning, EE revealed that the new 5G service will run alongside 4G. EE also confirmed that it won't be throttling its 4G service to make the 5G look faster.

Marc Allera, chief executive of EE, said its 5G radio equipment will be supplied by its partners Qualcomm, Samsung, Google, LG, One Plus, Oppo, HTC, and Huawei.

EE will offer 5G to pre-order from today, with availability initially in six cities. EE says it plans to expand the rollout to 16 cities by the end of the year.

EE is offering 5G plans with next-generation devices, like the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, to pre-order from today, but iPhone users will have to wait. Apple isn't prepared to launch 5G iPhones in 2019, making 2020 is almost certainly the year 5G will come to iPhone.

Last week, Vodafone said it will switch on its 5G network in the UK on July 3, making it seem at the time that it would be the first carrier to launch the next-generation cellular technology in the country.

Article Link: EE to Launch 5G in the United Kingdom on May 30

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Analysis is a little crude but when looking at Galaxy S10 5G vs Galaxy S10 Plus across plans with same data and upfront cost we're looking at a £15 markup for 5G. Ouch!

Reactions: Keane16

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I know 5G is supposed to revolutionise wireless communication and that we’ll all apparently be binning our 250mbps Virgin fibre broadband so we can pull data down from the sparkling heavens, but... I’d be content with consistent, reliable 4G coverage.

Oh well. It is what it is. All that said, EE is definitely the best mobile company I’ve ever had a contract with - and SIM only is cheap as chips given the alternatives.

Reactions: MLVC and AaronM5670

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
First year I may skip upgrading if no 5G chip, I see no point.

Looking at the price markups for 5G I'm happy to hold out on 5G until it becomes free for existing customers (as networks eventually did with 3G and 4G).

I was pretty content with fast 3G. 4G was even better. I have no idea what I need from 5G today that 4G can't give me - so I won't be getting a 5G plan just yet.

But a camera with better low light photography - sign me up.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
4G was fine at launch, it’s now become saturated. I guess the same will happen to 5G

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Pfftt who cares? It’ll hardly reach anyone and cost a fortune, plus ER like to increase their contract prices mid way through the contract every year.. and you cannot cancel tour contract due to the increase!
At least it’ll be fast I guess? So you’ll be able to, erm, actually not do anything faster.. because EE already has the fastest 4G network, so yeah pointless.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Onya EE! My telco of choice when I’m in the UK.

I agree. EE is excellent. First class customer service. I've been with them for 15 years and zero problems.
My worst experience was with Vodafone - I was tied to a monthly 3GB plan and they cut it to 2GB for the same price with ZERO warning to the customer. Really crap! And a lost customer for life!

makr

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
Looks like their initial 4G release, large cities first then slowly expand over the country.

I wonder what BT mobile gonna do about that, I remember they claimed they have the largest coverage in the UK.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I agree. EE is excellent. First class customer service. I've been with them for 15 years and zero problems.
My worst experience was with Vodafone - I was tied to a monthly 3GB plan and they cut it to 2GB for the same price with ZERO warning to the customer. Really crap! And a lost customer for life!
Yep another vote for EE. I have been with them for 2 years now without a glitch. Good service, good value and they seem to be first to the post for everything in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.