Eeeek! I hate my PC..what to do...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macEfan, Jul 24, 2008.

1. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Well, I use my mac most of the time, but in certain instances I must use a PC for work. I have a 3.0ghz Pentium 4 PC manufactured by E-Machines. The motherboard has an intel chipset.

The problem is that somehow, someone set a bios power on password and neglected to tell it to me. So now the computer is just a useless 30 pound paperweight. Is there any way to reset the password? I tried removing the clock battery for a few hours but that did not do anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm surprised that removing the BIOS battery didn't work. You had it unplugged from AC power as well, right?

I'd look from some reset jumpers as well.

3. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

Find the person? Do you have a tech support guy where you work?

4. macEfan thread starter macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Yes, AC power was unplugged. The computer recognized the clock battery was removed, yet it still prompted me for the password.

I should have made this clearer....the PC is at home..and I use it when I need to tackle an occasional project that I didn't finish at the office. This is not a cooperate pc.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Keep pressing enter when it asks for the password... Sounds stupid, but someone done this at my school and that worked. Then again, the computers at my school do have a "Built for Windows 98" sticker on them :D

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Thats weird, the battery trick should always work :confused:. Do an online search for that model and see if you can find w/ the "clear cmos" jumper is.