Eek! Ordered 2 engraved iPads instead of 1!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PT123, Jun 23, 2011.

1. PT123 macrumors member

...actually my mother did. She was ordering an engraved iPad as a gift for someone on the apple store, but as she tried to place the order the site crashed. She then reverted to telephone order in case it happened again, and before ordering the telephone sales assistant confirmed that the online order was not processed.

So, she placed the order over the phone, but alas, both orders were dispatched today! She is very worried since you can't return engraved items but this wasn't her fault. However, she is going to have trouble proving it. Any thoughts? :(

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

As long as the engraving isn't something generic, I doubt she will have a problem getting it sorted.

3. PT123 thread starter macrumors member

It was someone's name I think

4. Siggen macrumors 6502

I would call Apple, and explain the situation.
    I would be surprised if they would not accept a return for one of them since this clearly is a mistake. I suspect they would take it on their own cape if you are polite. On the other hand, if you over phone aren't polite, if I were on the phone with you I would simply say "You are rude, and therefore I have no other choice than to hang up"

5. PT123 thread starter macrumors member

Well it's my mother who is in her sixties so I'd be surprised if she sounded rude :)

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It's clear this was a web eff up.. she's not going to have an issue imo. Just call and point it out sooner than later, they are not going to hold an older person responsible when it was clearly a mistake.. just don't open both...

Well I should say I would be SHOCKED if they didn't allow her to return one in this situation.. just call though..

7. Phil-82 macrumors member

Keep us posted, I curious to find out what happens.

8. Tim9724 macrumors member

As am I

9. eyekyu macrumors member

this happened to a friend of mine, kind of

he ordered an engraved ipad, realised he messed up the engraving and called apple. they told him to order another one and to simply not pick the first ipad with the messed up engraving. he followed their instructions, didnt pick it up and they refunded the money for the ipad

i guess you could not pick up both ipads, not sure how happy apple would be about that

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

You were told the order was not processed online, that should be enough. Phone Apple and politely explain what happened. It's their fault.

Incidentally, this is why I don't get stuff engraved. It lowers resale value (even if I don't think I will resell I like the option), and in many jurisdictions it means you lose some of your consumer rights.

11. Hellenek macrumors member

What's the engraving and iPad specs? Somebody may buy it off you...;)

12. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

If nothing else, i'm sure you could sell it to someone at a little discount. People who intend on putting a case on anyways probably wouldn't care (or could at least live with it).

13. PT123 thread starter macrumors member

Well, she called this morning and they were very apologetic. They are arranging for the courier to pick up the second iPad. The real lifesaver here was the direct line number that the sales rep gave her, meaning she could talk to the guy who remembered promising that the web order didn't go through. I think it would be hard to prove otherwise. Big thumbs up for this feature of customer service, apple :apple: