Eerie red glow from headphone port

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by infinitethrill, May 6, 2008.

1. infinitethrill macrumors regular

infinitethrill

I have never heard or seen this before. I just unplugged my earbuds, and there was no sound. Tried changing the volume, just got this.
    [​IMG]

I went to sound, and the internal speakers weren't even an option.
    [​IMG]

I went back to plug in my earbuds to see if they still worked, and there was a red glow coming out of my macbook. The earbuds worked, but once unplugged the red glow came back. After a reboot it was all better, sound works fine.
    [​IMG]

The weird thing is, I didn't do anything weird to change it. Its the first I've ever heard of it, and I thought it was pretty neat, so there you go.

Edit: This is a Late 06 MacBook, so if you have one, you have this too...

2. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

that light is an optical output. some setting of yours must've been changed accidentally or your computer is having a hiccup. it's fine to have it like that and the light isn't harmful. a restart would probably make it disappear again.

3. jam30 macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem but have tried this and am not getting any luck.

Any other suggestions as I really don't want the hour and a half train journey to the Apple store!

Cheers

James

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try rebooting into safe mode by holding shift on startup and then doing a normal boot.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There is a thread here in the MBP section about this. Don't know if the same fix works on MB.

Cheers,