Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eero's lineup of routers now support HomeKit, eight months after Apple announced Amazon-owned Eero as one of the companies adding HomeKit support back in June at WWDC.

Any Eero, Eero Pro, or Eero Beacon running the eeroOS 3.18.0 update or later is now able to be added to the Home app using a setup process in the Eero app.

eerohomekit.jpg

HomeKit for routers is a feature that was added in iOS 13, and it is designed to firewall off smart home devices for a more secure HomeKit experience. With HomeKit for routers, smart home products are not able to communicate outside the home without user permission, so if one HomeKit device becomes compromised, others remain safe.

There are multiple security settings that can be enabled for HomeKit-connected routers, as outlined by Eero.

- Automatic: allows an accessory to communicate to the devices and services approved by its manufacturer, preventing access by unauthorized services.

- Restrict to Home: allows an accessory to communicate only to HomeKit on your Apple devices. You will be able to manage your accessories through the Home app, but this may reduce some functionality, such as firmware updates.

- No restriction: allows an accessory to communicate with every device in your home, and any website or service on the internet, much like other devices on your home network.

After a HomeKit-connected router is added to a HomeKit setup, existing HomeKit devices will continue to benefit from "most HomeKit network protection features," but that they should be removed, reset, and then re-added back to the Home app for maximum security. From Apple's support document:
After setup, add your HomeKit accessories to the Home app. If you already have HomeKit accessories added to the Home app, they will continue to work and benefit from most HomeKit network protection features. For even more security, remove and reset your Wi-Fi accessories then add them back to the Home app. This creates a unique passkey known only to the router and each accessory.
Eero is the first router manufacturer to add support for HomeKit to its devices, but HomeKit support is also coming to Linksys and Charter/Spectrum routers.

Article Link: Eero Mesh WiFi Routers Gain HomeKit Support

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I don't think anybody's pointed out, but HomeKit router + Restrict to home means competing solutions like Google Assistant and Alexa are blocked. So it's not just security, it's a way to block other ecosystems.

Reactions: kyleh22
Comment

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
Don’t be fooled by the USB port on these. It’s for tech support only. I refuse to buy Eero if I can’t connect a hard drive to it. Dumb.

Comment

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
This is great news – except that I’m more skeptical of Amazon than Google or even Facebook in terms of data privacy. Kind of makes this a catch 22 since presumably anyone who would care enough to by a WiFi system with this capability, is probably less than thrilled to buy their router from Amazon.

Comment

Cinimod1000

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2016
It would be REALLY nice if Apple would add Homekit support to their own Airport routers. I know, they are old, but they did add support for AirPlay 2 to the last "Express" long after they stopped selling them...... so why not add HomeKit to the last Extreme and TC? Just a rhetorical question.....

Comment

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
HomeKit for routers is a feature that was added in iOS 13, and it is designed to firewall off smart home devices for a more secure HomeKit experience.

If you're really concerned about security, don't allow any "smart" device into your home.

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
I worry eero is Amazon spyware. I wish Apple would get back in the wifi business. (But after they get back in the display business.)
The default setting is presumably Automatic, which "allows an accessory to communicate to the devices and services approved by its manufacturer. That means that people who don't override that setting (i.e., most people) will have a router that will communicate with Amazon services. Who knows what information it will share.

Reactions: SDJim
Comment

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
If you're really concerned about security, don't allow any "smart" device into your home.

Presumably this is targeted at that subset of people who like smart home products but want to maximize security to the greatest extent possible. Obviously having no smart product (get rid of your smartphone, computer, and home internet too) would provide the maximum amount of security, but most are trying to achieve a balance between creature comforts and security.

Comment

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Weird that eero adds this to their routers but Ring won’t add HomeKit to any of their products and both are owned by amazon.

Beat me to it!

Now please give me HomeKit support for my Ring cameras. I doubt it though. Amazon doesn’t want to lose money from people paying for their cloud storage.

Ring doesn’t get any more money from this house till they do HomeKit. I’m done with them

X2! I sure hope one day someone attempts a class action suit for announcing upcoming HomeKit support, before selling to Amazon, and then never happening. We bought cameras for 3 households on the premise that HomeKit support would come, one of three also has a floodlight camera. Love the devices, just want everything in the Home app.

Reactions: centauratlas
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.