Effect of New Firmware Upgrade potential to Brick

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Sep 14, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

"A Boston-area AT&T store confirmed the likelihood explaining that if the Apple update doesn't "brick" (rendering your iPhone as useless as a brick) the unlocked iPhone the AT&T data plan will. I was told I may be able to make a few calls with a substitute SIM installed in an iPhone, but AT&T's data plan will eventually "kick in" and deactivate the voice and data service. The AT&T rep wouldn't elaborate"

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005425.html

crap IMO. Generaly the people in the store, yet alone someone in a ATT store, are usually the last people to know anything

2. zinj macrumors member

The apple update I could see bricking unlocked phones, which is why I'm sure most people with unlocked phones won't do it until it's been tested. But how in the world could the AT&T data plan "kick in" when they don't even have AT&T? The whole point of unlocking the iPhone is to avoid AT&T all together. AT&T "reps" really amaze me sometimes.

3. ldhilljr macrumors newbie

What in good gracious is the alleged ATT rep talking about?

If you're not with an ATT SIM, then your phone has no access to ATT network (unless you're roaming on it using a non-US SIM, such as Orange UK).

I have a T-Mobile (US) SIM installed. ATT can't send an update over the air to a T-Mobile phone. Egro, the ATT rep knows not of what he speaks.

This is just an example of sour grapes on the part of the ATT rep.

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

bricking refers to a *dead* iphone, not one that can be revived via a restore.

5. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

AT&T reps will tell you anything to sign up with them....
    They have no clue