effect of new screen resolution (iphone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twisted-pixel, May 19, 2010.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Hi,

a thought occured to me today.....(I'm usually permitted at least one a day)

I come from a WM background and one of the reasons that I saw this platform dying was the lack of apps, mainly caused by the problem of too big a variety of specifications (screen sizes - VGA, QVGA, XVGA, WVGA, memory available etc). The benefits of developing for the iphone was that you are guaranteed a certain set of specs, therefore making your app easy to adopt by a larger audience.

So, with the new iphone reported to have a much higher resolution screen dos this mean that developers will have to adapt or their apps for two different resolutions? meaning that the number of apps available is potentially halved (50/50 for each of the available resolutions as developers concentrate on one particular unit) or that the number of apps being developed will decrease because there are now complications that developers have to consider.

what are peoples thoughts?

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Apple aren't known for complication. In Interface Builder I'd guess it'd likely just be a case of Save As 3GS, Save as HD or Save as Universal Resolution. It won't be as bad as other platforms were in the past. I doubt WP7 will even be that bad this time around.

3. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

It especially won't be a problem if they simply double the resolution as the rumors are indicating. Doing that means that every app already available will look pretty much the same on with the new resolution, with each individual pixel simply being replaced with 4 pixels. As time goes on devs can update apps to take advantage of the new resolution if they so desire, but if not their apps should work and look just as well as they did at the old resolution.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The screen is actually a little bit smaller than the current one so regular apps should look minutely sharper.

5. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

6. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

How many freaking times are peoeple going to ask the same damn questions?

For the billionth time....the resolution is being doubled...meaning current apps will look exactly the same...upgraded apps will have smoother text and graphics...but the devs don't have to upgrade the apps to work fine on the new screen.

One pixel on the current iPhone will be displayed by 4 pixels on the new screen....simple!

Go to daring fireball and read the article: "why 960x640?"

7. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Who peed in your corn flakes?

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I think the developer industry should be at a point where things become resolution independent.

Apps for iPhone + iPad + iPhone HD, yes developers will be working with three screen sizes.

ipad apps cant be put on the iphone screen, things would get too small. but iPhone HD apps should look nice on the iPad! (just large font, but not that big of a deal)

if developers don't want to make three versions, then they can develop for the original iPhone and know it will work on all of the devices just fine.

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

The OP. Tsk Tsk. :D

10. WilliamG macrumors G3

Do you realize how idiotic you sound?

In any case, for the *billionth* time, the resolution is NOT being doubled. It's being QUADRUPLED.

If the new iPhone is indeed 960x640, this means 614,400 pixels, vs the current iPhone/3G/3GS resolution of 480x320, or 153,600.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I knew what he meant. Didn't sound idiotic to me at all.

12. monster1197 macrumors newbie

What if a game for the new one is made?

Will it be backwards compatible?

For example i make a Game 960 X 640
    will this game work on the Iphone 3gs or will i need to make 2 versions?