Effect of the processor on standard use cases?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbarol, Oct 24, 2013.

1. jbarol macrumors newbie

Ive been reading a lot, and decided on the basics for the new computer, but I have a few questions. First, some background:
    I got a new job that has me traveling a bit, but normally i leave my computer at home.
    I do not do anything crazy with it. Maybe play a few games, but that is far from being a primary use case.
    I am leaning towards 256gb hard drive and 8gb ram because:
    a) I have a 256gb external where i store pictures and movies
    b) as I said, I dont do anything crazy enough to warrant 16 gb of ram (or convince me otherwise?)

First, and most important
    What processor should I use?
    What is the real difference between i5 and i7?
    Between 2.0, 2.3, 2,4, 2.6, 2.8 ghz?

Also a question- what size is good?
    I am leaning towards 15 in because:
    a) I leave it at home a lot
    b) 15in isn't that bad for when i need to travel, as I have grown to understand.
    c) Watching movies, reading, writing, doing presentations on 15in is better and easier on the eyes than on the 13in

The only reason that I see me getting the 13 in is if the size is really that much better, lighter, and does not make a big difference on how i read, write, or watch movies, or play the occasional game.

Money is not the main issue, im more concerned with getting the system that is perfect for me.

I very much appreciate all of your advice in advance!

----------

Or am I overthinking this, and I should just get a MBA top of the line?

2. theKitch macrumors member

Unless you ate doing some high end rendering or video editing any of these systems is going to be plenty fast. Pick the size you prefer and run. The 2.0 quad is probably plenty of power. If you get a 13 dual core it might be nice for a speed bump option.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

Based on what you described you do not need to worry about processor speed. Personally, if I was in your shoes I would buy a 15 inch retina either new or refurbished.

4. jbarol thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the 15 airplane friendly? I leave the computer at home when I am on location, but I fly every now and then, (10hrs+ per flight).

And, in general, does i5 v i7 matter in terms of performance or battery? I remember reading that i7 has better battery, then i read that it is worse. What do you find?

Also, theKitch, i see you have both a 13 and a 15 in. Can you share your experiences with them?

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Get the 15'' Haswell, base model.

Case closed.