Effective date for warranty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tjevans, Oct 6, 2008.

1. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

I just purchased a factory-sealed MBP on ebay. This is a new, not refurbished, unit. I plan to purchase the Applecare extended warranty before the regular warranty expires.

This leads me to the question of when the regular warranty becomes effective. I'm not sure the seller can be considered a retailer, so I don't know if the date would be the date she purchased from Apple (or a middleman), or when I purchased from her, or when I receive it.

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find it in a search. So, which date is it?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Register the computer with Apple when you get it. That should be your warranty start date.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It's the date she bought it if she's not an authorized reseller.

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

The way it's been explained to me is that your warranty start date is determined in either of two ways:

1) The verified purchase date. I'm assuming, as others are here, that eBay doesn't count because the seller isn't Apple authorized. Perhaps the OP can contact the seller for verification of purchase date?

2) In the event no purchase date can be found, usually the date the Mac leaves the manufacturing factory.

In any event, on Apple's Support website, there should be a place to enter in your Mac's serial number to obtain the official start date.

5. emef macrumors newbie