Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J.Raz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hello, I'd like you to guide me regarding which skins I should get in order not only to protect my iPhone 4 but also not to affect its fascinating looking. Excuse me for opening such an overly discussed topic, but getting to know your very recent experiences is way more helpful than listening to any seller's mumbling. As a side note, I did check many previous threads but it's that feeling of still being dubious.

Okay, this is what I'm looking for:
- Complete protection from scratches and perhaps slight falls.
- Non existence of the orange peel effect nor the sense of carrying an entirely plastic mass.
- A smooth touch and a pleasant feeling while holding it, likewise when it's naked.
- A shining looking of the glass as if there isn't any cover on it.
- A kind of a "self-healing" skin, if there is possibly one.
- Reduced fingerprints on it.

From what I've read so far, I would go for a screen protector by Power Support or SGP -both of them are quite invisible when adjusted properly and do not affect, even in the least, the screen's clarity- while for the back and side parts, I'd choose Bodyguardz or BestSkinsEver.

My very first choice was the invisibleShield by ZAGG but I've been told that it terribly affects the retina display, takes much away from the screen and results in the orange peel effect. On the top of that, someone claimed that it harms the material which the screen is made of. I don't know, I might decide to take the skin off someday, so I wouldn't really love to see my screen affected/destroyed in one way or another.

So, according to my desires, which company's products do you recommend me get?

Laike

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Personally, I applied my SGP perfectly and it's bubbling up in strange lines and on the edges I never even touched. I'm not to happy. I have a wrapsol ultra on the back and the sides (well, now I have a lucky labs transparent for my scratch protection to cover the spots the wrapsol ultra sides don't cover then the wrapsol ultra side pieces on top of that). Apparently it's been tested to survive some 6 feet drops (they posted a new video on their youtube showing 6 foot drops onto concrete flooring) and it feels pretty good on my hands. It's pretty slick. Only problem with your requirements is because it is so thick, it does change the feel of it slightly. It's much more expensive than Bodyguardz or BSE though and they've had some serious quality control issues in the past. I've had to get a warranty on the front due to strange rainbow lines that was distorting the screen. Supposedly was a defective batch.

If you want to do just pure SGP, think about getting the SGP EX or Incredible shield kits. The EX kit does a static cling back and front with urethane sides (similar to my wrapsol ultra but thinner it seems) while the Incredible shield swaps the back with a wet apply one similar to BSE.

Personally I'm happy with my Wrapsol but it does have some issues that their customer service was quick to deal with.

Laike

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I've used an Agent 18 clear case on my old Zune 80gb which I liked for the exception that it collected alot of dust and crap in between the case and the zune which required constant cleaning.

I also purchased an Otterbox Defender for my phone while I was still reminding myself to be less rough and more careful with my phone. The thing I didn't like about it was that it stuck to my pant pockets alot due to the silicon outer layer. I still intend to use the Defender when I am out doing more vigorous activities like hiking.

alox

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
i recommend using wrapsol & a bumper ... that's what i'm using now...very sleek and nice :) i accidently dropped my phone few times, 5 feet down on hard floor, and some lower heights, but it's still good. no scratches at all. just dont drop it on rocks or in the woods :D

J.Raz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Does the SGP ultra crystal clear or the Power Support crystal clear guarantee utter protection from scratches?

Laike

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
What do you mean by "guarantee utter protection from scratches"? I don't think they come with any warranty beyond faulty manufacturing

J.Raz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
What do you mean by "guarantee utter protection from scratches"? I don't think they come with any warranty beyond faulty manufacturing

I mean, do they take away something from their protection from scratches while trying to make them as much invisible as possible?

Laike

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
SGP and Power support use hard type protectors. They do scratch and don't heal like the softer type protectors like Wrapsol or Best Skins Ever. How ever, they do tend to be clearer and thinner

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.