Effects for pre-recorded vocals.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by ZiggyPastorius, Dec 24, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Hey, everybody, I have a quick question. I'm pretty much a noob at technological aspects of music creation, but I do electronic music and remixing and such, basically just figuring things out as I go. If I have some vocals (such as part of a multi-track for a song, or some I record myself), what are some ways I can mess with them in Logic? I have Logic Express as I can't afford to go to Studio yet, and I hear vocal effects in remixes all the time. Stuff like changing the pitch of individual parts of the vocals (rather than just changing the pitch of the entire vocal track), so I can use a different chord progression and not have it sound like crap. Also, stuff like "stretching" vocals (basically making the vocals stutter. Example: Right after the word "me") and also, making vocals different (like a robot voice, or a morphing voice, or alien, or whatever). Also, if I don't want something generic, how can I make my own effects for vocals. Perhaps if someone would like to PM me and do some iChat demoing sometime, that'd be cool. Another example is in the song "Where is Everybody (Danny Lohner's Remix) off the album Things Falling Apart - Nine Inch Nails.

Anyways, if anyone can help me out, it'd be a big help for my remixing and stuff. Thanks.

2. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Another question: are there ways besides Apple's jam packs to get new instruments/packs for logic?I'm looking for drums and brash instruments/percussives in particular, as I'm aiming for a more original sound. Also, can anyone recommend me a good guitar cable? Im experimenting with distortion (by the way, if anyone can tell me how to get some new distortion effects, that'd be cool, too), and I'm looking to get rid of the hum that comes with distortion /electric instruments. Thanks, guys.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

in a broad sense, "if it sounds good, it is good."

best bet is to experiment like hell and see what sticks. don't be afraid to try anything, everything is fair game.

personally, when mixing lead vox, i use a lot of short, panned delays before i add reverb. i find that if i can build up an interesting space using delays, i don't need much reverb to finish. but that's all for a "typical" vocal sound, if you're looking at things at time-stretching, vocoding, pitch-shifting, etc., there are plugs for all those specific things.

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Any you can specifically recommend? Is it really down to just messing with effects? My biggest problem is if I have some specific effect in mind, and I can't figure out how to
    make it. I'll search on google for some plug-ins, I suppose, see if anything comes up.

5. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Another question: Is the "EVOC vocoder range" or whatever it's called available only with Logic Studio, or can I get it with Express?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i dig the plugins from massey, but i think they're all still protools-only. other than that, i can recommend the suite from SoundToys -- they support Logic i believe. from them, i mostly use EchoBoy, but Crystallizer and FilterFreak especially will give you endless options for mucking with things.

yes, just start messing with things and googling. practice and experimentation are your best bets, and eventually you'll get a feel for your tools and gain enough knowledge that you can start achieving what's in your head.

7. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

All right, cool, thank you :)