effects of 4gb ram and ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pharao111, Sep 28, 2009.

1. pharao111 macrumors newbie

I've bought myself the "basic" macbook pro and now I was thinking of upgrading the memory and its harddrive bymyself I figured out that I can buy the RAM and the SSD approximatly 100$ cheaper from online retailers like Newegg.com. So what I'm curious about is the effect of an Samsung ssd and the upgraded memory (from 2gb to 4gb and from 160gb hdd to 128 gb ssd) .. my special point of interest is regarding the battery runtime. The 6h is great but is there any improvement possible with the switch to ssd? Does it currently make sense to change or would it make sense to wait a bit longer before changing??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD makes battery life a lot better because it consumes less energy. SSDs are developing all the time so it's hard to say when is the right time to buy. Within a year there may be 500GB SSDs for reasonable price but you can buy a new one then

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Definitely get the ram, but wait with the SSD for at least a few months, that technology is evolving way too fast right now, so in a few months it will be cheaper and better.

Edit: For the record, I didn't wait, and though I "wasted" about 130ish bucks compared to recent prices, the performance is... wow...

4. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

100% yes on the RAM. Cheap and easy, no brainer.

THe SSD is the single best upgrade you can do. It is an absolute night and day difference in performance and usability.

The samsung's are pretty weak compared to others. If you can live with 80GBs, the intel SSD drives are the best and can be found for 250-275 bucks.

5. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

The ram is definitely a good pick up at around ~$70 for 4GB. Might be worth it to wait on the SSD just due to the high prices now.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've seen several claim that battery life has decreased with SSD, so milage may vary.. (most SSDs are either on standby or on, it's not like HDs that spin up and down, power save mode etc)

More ram will make the computer access the HD less often, thus consume less energy.

4GB ram is te most cost effective upgrade you can do.
    It's cheap, it doesn't cripple you storage capacity and you won't get four times as much for half the price next year :D