Effects of Change

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link
A new record has been set for tornado deaths, and the news is all good.

For the first time since official records have been kept beginning in 1950, there were no tornado deaths from April through June.

Spring is typically the most active tornado season, with 61 percent of a year's twister deaths coming in April, May and June combined. The average for that period is 52 deaths a year.

While there have been a normal number of tornadoes this year, they have not been on the ground as long.

"This is truly a unique situation and one that we are very happy to report," said Dan McCarthy, NOAA Storm Prediction Center warning coordination meteorologist. "The ingredients needed in the atmosphere never really came together, preventing development of our normal springtime pattern that makes long-track tornadoes and tornado outbreaks possible during these prime months for severe weather."
there are obvious changes between this record and this record.

Homes, I do believe something is a foot!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Really good news to hear of no deaths this year. Having lived in Nebraska and my tornadoes, the early warning notification has saved a lot of lives.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
Weak tornadoes, numerous hurricanes. Sample size is too small to postulate a trend... Holmes. ;)
Maybe so, but just blind chance?
Tornado warnings, and construction have improved, so there has to be some allowance for that. This hurricane season has been unusual too, extremely unusual from a statistical view. As patterns change it is interesting to see the effects, I hope most are benign.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Really glad to hear that there have been no tornado deaths. Living within 20 miles of Jarrell, I know what damage a tornado can do...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
stubeeef said:
Maybe so, but just blind chance?
Tornado warnings, and construction have improved, so there has to be some allowance for that. This hurricane season has been unusual too, extremely unusual from a statistical view. As patterns change it is interesting to see the effects, I hope most are benign.
IANAM, but it would seem to me that the factors that spawn tornadoes over dry land are very different from those that spawn hurricanes over oceans... Coincidence, maybe. Common cause, unlikely. We'll see if there is repeat in the future to indicate some kind of linkage.