EFI Boot screen for HD7950?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndraves, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ndraves macrumors member

Hi,

I currently have a HD 7950 working beautifully out of the box in my MP 5,1 in both OS X and Windows with the drivers included in 10.8.3. But obviously I don't have any boot screens.

If there an EFI flash available for this card that I could make use of? Main reason for wanting this is that sometime when in Windows and selecting Boot to OS X The machine will reboot but back into Windows repeatedly. Had to put my 5770 back in to get into OS X. If I'm missing something here then that would also be helpful.

I went for the 7950 over the 7970 due to the power draw for the 2 cards, the 7950 just has the 2x 6pin connectors, doesn't require anything funky.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I searched but couldn't find anything.

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

There is no EFI flash available for any Radeon 7xxx GPU but you can easily make a recovery USB drive as suggested by Killerbob here, and solve the no boot menu problem. It's a better alternative than swapping video cards every time you need to access the boot menu.