EFI Firmware Update Brings Lion Internet Recovery to Mid-2010 13-Inch MacBook Pro [Updated]

thebrick

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
GA, United States
Is there anyone have any idea about the document pages about three firmwares? apple has uploaded the page and the update files on support downloads page with support docs, but suddenly they removed it from both documents page and downloads.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Apple is updating features on an older machine?! Oh happy day! :D

It's rare that they do something like this except for a security flaw. But of course I'm very happy that they are doing this. They probably won't go back that farther, but it's a wonderful feature to have if you have a compatible Mac. I'm all for Apple doing this more often. Especially because they seldom care about previously released hardware when new software comes around.
So Lion's Airdrop working on pre-Lion computers (so giving something to do to previously unused Wifi capabilities) doesn't count?

Hexley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
So we have AirDrop in the 2010 Macbook Pro. Cool!

Can anyone check if this also allows for 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB of RAM?

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
So we have AirDrop in the 2010 Macbook Pro. Cool!

Can anyone check if this also allows for 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB of RAM?
That rather depends on the hardware. But you can check at everymac.com, they usually post the official and actual limits on each mac model.

Hexley

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
That rather depends on the hardware. But you can check at everymac.com, they usually post the official and actual limits on each mac model.
As this was released durign the week the site may not have it yet.

RaeRaeE62

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I realize that this is a lengthy update but my computer is still updating the software and it's been a little over 30 min. I have class in an hour and need my laptop so I'm hoping it finishes by then! Anyone else experiencing this? I hope if I restart my computer nothing serious happens.

tonjik

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do you think fresh Lion install makes any difference in system speed?
On my 13 MB Pro I installed Lion over SL and everything slowed down significantly as well battery life down from 8 hrs to 6,5.
Any experience?
Thanks in advance!

Jesse813

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Pottstown, PA

I realize that this is a lengthy update but my computer is still updating the software and it's been a little over 30 min. I have class in an hour and need my laptop so I'm hoping it finishes by then! Anyone else experiencing this? I hope if I restart my computer nothing serious happens.
seems like a long wait. mine only took about 5 mins for this update, though it seemed all other the past EFI updates took 20 to 30 mins for me.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Now Here is the funny thing...

The funny thing here is that only the Macs using Nvidia 320M GPUs got the upgrade: Macbook Pro 13 2010, Macbook 2010, Mac Mini 2010 -- All of these have a Nvidia 320M. :eek:

It is as if this is aimed at the Graphic card rather than a computer, because according to my experience this card has had choppy animation/scrolling and unfluid user experience, especially in Lion. After many fresh installs, I have bugged :apple: a lot about this issue.

Can anyone confirm that this EFI update has actually improves the Nvidia 320M performance somehow?

Jesse813

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Pottstown, PA
It is as if this is aimed at the Graphic card rather than a computer, because according to my experience this card has had choppy animation/scrolling and unfluid user experience, especially in Lion. After many fresh installs, I have bugged :apple: a lot about this issue
I haven't noticed any of these issues since I've upgraded to Lion. maybe I've just been lucky though :D

saulinpa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2008
Interesting that there is still no Internet Recovery for the 2010 Mac Pro that they are still selling.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012

Do you think fresh Lion install makes any difference in system speed?
On my 13 MB Pro I installed Lion over SL and everything slowed down significantly as well battery life down from 8 hrs to 6,5.
Any experience?
Thanks in advance!
My system got alot faster after I did a clean installation of Lion och macbook 2010, but I also upgraded from 4Gb to 8Gb ram at the same time.
Haven't noticed any changes in battery time though.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The funny thing here is that only the Macs using Nvidia 320M GPUs got the upgrade: Macbook Pro 13 2010, Macbook 2010, Mac Mini 2010 -- All of these have a Nvidia 320M. :eek:

It is as if this is aimed at the Graphic card rather than a computer, because according to my experience this card has had choppy animation/scrolling and unfluid user experience, especially in Lion. After many fresh installs, I have bugged :apple: a lot about this issue.

Can anyone confirm that this EFI update has actually improves the Nvidia 320M performance somehow?
I've heard no word of the Late 2010 MacBook Airs getting such an EFI firmware update. And they also have the NVIDIA GeForce 320M (albeit a different ultra-mobile version of it). Or can any Late 2010 MacBook Air owners attest to getting such an update? I'd think it'd especially make sense for these machines to get it.

Last edited:

okwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
I wounder if Apple is planning to support HDMI audio on older MBP models using a similar "reach back" approach? I have a late 2009 MB Pro 13" model and it's a right pain in the posterior to have to connect a separate audio cable when you want to play a movie on your TV using a miniport to HDMI adapter. video and audio through the same cable would be awesome!

Or can this even be potentially done in firmware, or is it dependent on the hardware itself? :)

Scotty
Sorry..... it's hardware dependent :p

Munro12

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
OSX Lion

What does this mean for saps like me that still use OSX Lion. I have a Macbook Pro 13" but haven't updated to Lion just yet...

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

As noted in our forums, Apple today pushed out a new firmware update specifically targeting users of the company's Mid-2010 13-inch MacBook Pro model. The new MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.5 brings compatibility with Lion Internet Recovery, allowing users of OS X Lion to reinstall the operating system from scratch on a brand-new hard drive without the need for physical recovery media.The update has not yet appeared on Apple's support downloads site, but weighs in at a small 2.9 MB for the user who posted the Software Update screenshot.

Lion Internet Recovery debuted alongside OS X Lion on new MacBook Air and Mac mini models introduced last July. The feature adds a minimal bootable install onto a machine's firmware to allow it to connect the Internet and download the full Lion operating system for installation. OS X Lion by default installs a recovery partition on the machine's hard drive for this purpose, but for users who are installing a blank hard drive or whose recovery partition becomes inaccessible, Internet Recovery provides yet another fallback option for Lion installation.

Following the July introduction of Internet Recovery on the current MacBook Air and Mac mini models, Apple extended the feature in mid-September to the then-current Early 2011 MacBook Pro models that had been released in February 2011. One month later Apple brought the feature to Apple's current-generation iMac line, leaving only the aging Mac Pro without support for Internet Recovery.

With today's firmware update, Apple has for the first time reached back to a previous-generation model to bring Lion Internet Recovery to the 13-inch MacBook Pro that was offered from April 2010 through February 2011.

Update: Users are also reporting that similar EFI firmware updates are available for the Mid-2010 white MacBook and the Mid-2010 Mac mini.

Article Link: EFI Firmware Update Brings Lion Internet Recovery to Mid-2010 13-Inch MacBook Pro [Updated]

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
Just got it on my Mid-2010 15" MBP too. Interestingly, the update description refers to them as Early 2010 as opposed to Mid 2010:
About MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.6

This update enables Lion Recovery from an Internet connection on MacBook Pro (Early 2010) models.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Boulder, CO
I still haven't updated to it. Should I? Is it really that important? I used to keep up on all the updates, but not so much anymore. I'm also afraid to update to 10.7.3 because of all the problems people have been reporting.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just got the update on a 15" 2010 model, so it appears they are increasing availability somewhat
I feel like it had to happen eventually; no reason to just give it to the 13" users; though there might've been a more immediate need to push out an EFI update to those machines if there were other bugs that the update also fixed.

Just got it on my Mid-2010 15" MBP too. Interestingly, the update description refers to them as Early 2010 as opposed to Mid 2010:
Definitely bizzare as there was never a Late 2010 model and they were definitely called Mid 2010.

ToaDA

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2012
New Zealand
I still haven't updated to it. Should I? Is it really that important? I used to keep up on all the updates, but not so much anymore. I'm also afraid to update to 10.7.3 because of all the problems people have been reporting.
Well it seems to have worked well, it didn't even mess with rEFIt, which I was expecting bearing in mind that it is an EFI update. I'll post if any problems evolve from it, but all good so far. Only took about 3min as well :)