Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I had a friend of mine selling a barely used GTX 770 SC, so i decided to give it a try. I must admit it looks a little faster and smoother compared to my previous GTX 680 SC Signature.

Now, my noob questions this time are [given the fact that with 10.8.5 & cuda & nvidia driver manager the card is almost plug and you're almost fine like that]:

1. Is there a valid motivation why one should have to stay on gtx 680? I mean, the 770 is almost identical and looks like a re-newal of the 680 and its price new is almost a 680 price used.

2. Is there a tutorialed way to flash an EFI in a 770? I know for someone it's a business, so I can understand if there won't be a tutorial. I'm just aking.
'cause I noticed the black-maybeworkingmaybenot-screen until the desktop shows up and i remembered after that i have bootcamp too, so I'd need a boot screen. With the 680 that was pretty easy considering the 680 mac edition rom + bios tweaker combo.

chiefsucker

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
1. Is there a valid motivation why one should have to stay on gtx 680? I mean, the 770 is almost identical and looks like a re-newal of the 680 and its price new is almost a 680 price used.

The GTX 770 is basically an overclocked GTX 680. My experience is that the former card is a little bit cheaper (especially after the price cut about a week ago) and it is a couple percent faster (due to the overclocking). Both are great and it’s almost the same card.

2. Is there a tutorialed way to flash an EFI in a 770? I know for someone it's a business, so I can understand if there won't be a tutorial. I'm just aking.
'cause I noticed the black-maybeworkingmaybenot-screen until the desktop shows up and i remembered after that i have bootcamp too, so I'd need a boot screen. With the 680 that was pretty easy considering the 680 mac edition rom + bios tweaker combo.

Yes, that’s the only reason I can think of while one should stay with the GTX 680. The missing boot screen isn’t a huge problem for most folks though. You can even select the boot volume from the corresponding System Preferences pane without 3rd party utilities.

I would also love to know if we’ll see a GTX 770 EFI ROM in the future. From a couple of eBay searches it looks like MacVidCards is selling them already.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I tried bootchamp and it's really great.
New problem: i just bought a second SSD, so i'll need a boot screen.
I think I'll be forced to sell the gtx 770 even if I feel it working better than the 680.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I tried bootchamp and it's really great.
New problem: i just bought a second SSD, so i'll need a boot screen.
I think I'll be forced to sell the gtx 770 even if I feel it working better than the 680.

Not a problem. Bootchamp doesn't care if your boot volumes are partitions or whole drives, so the procedure doesn't really change just because you are adding an SSD. I have OS X and Windows on separate internal SSDs and Bootchamp works just fine.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
If you are in US might be worth having us mod it for you.

Italy

----------

Not a problem. Bootchamp doesn't care if your boot volumes are partitions or whole drives, so the procedure doesn't really change just because you are adding an SSD. I have OS X and Windows on separate internal SSDs and Bootchamp works just fine.

I'll have a SSD with OSX & WIN, the other with just OSX.
So the problems come when i need to decide which SSD i want to boot from, that's what i meant

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
There is always System Preferences - Startup Disk which will allow you to chose your OSX drive to be used from next boot. Clumsy but available.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
There is always System Preferences - Startup Disk which will allow you to chose your OSX drive to be used from next boot. Clumsy but available.

There are several ways.
Since i have pci-e adapter i have to power the SSD taking power from MacPro's mobo or from external with a 220V to sata power adapter.
I could decide which SSD power if i use 2 external power adapters.

But the target is staying sat with my finger on the alt button and see my beloved grey screen haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.