EFI partition question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, May 6, 2009.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

Right now I am booted into the GParted live cd, and I am wondering if my computer will even be able to boot into the OS X install disc if I delete every single partition on my HDD. I am going through a roundabout way of removing ubuntu.

Will I be able to boot into the OS X install disc and do an install if I delete every single partition, and leave my HDD completely blank and unformatted?

Thanks so much, I am writing and checking this from my iPhone

2. msevild macrumors regular

Yes, you can actually boot from the OS X install disc and reformat your entire drive from there, no need to use other utilities. But it will still work if you delete all partitions and then install a fresh copy of Mac OS X on your unformatted drive(the install disc will format it for you correctly).

3. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. Last night I did a clean install of OS X thinking it would completely wipe the HDD, but the Linux and swap partitions from the Linux install were still on the drive after the OS X install.

4. msevild macrumors regular

After choosing language on the install disk the main menu will come up, choose disk utility from the utilities menu item and through that program you will be able to repartition your drive/wipe out all partitions and create just one with nothing on it.

5. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

I could try that again, now that I was succesfully able to completely delete the Linux and swap partition using GParted. Last night when I tried running disk utility from the booted OS X disc it hung in the preparing to remove volume step when I tried to delete those partitions.