EFI Rom For Gigabyte R9-280X (REV2) PC Version (Link To Download)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by boodaddyz, Nov 26, 2014.

1. boodaddyz, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

boodaddyz macrumors member

boodaddyz

Hey Guys,

Got the Gigabyte R9-280x (REV2) PC version card and put in in my mac. Everything worked great, but I did not have the EFI boot screen. I edited my rom and added the EFI. Everything works great now...

If anyone has this (REV2) card, feel free to download my EFI rom.

My Origional Rom: GV-R928XOC-3GD - Device ID: 6798

EFI Rom: Gigabyte-R9-280X.efi.rom
    Link To Download https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f6162b9d928d6ad6a5134f70f25c1fd020141126213401/cfe14f

Backup your origional first. Enjoy Your EFI Boot Screen!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Be aware that most of these cards can't use each other's roms. Ideally you find the Id string and make sure it matches, with AMD cards they frequently list RAM type and speeds in first 1K of rom.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS dump rom off card first.

Ideally you have the switch version which lets you flip to an unmolested rom if it doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing, will be helpful for anyone with identical card.

3. lucidmagus macrumors newbie

Dead Link

Hey man, that link is dead now, and that ROM file would be a HUGE help to me. Trying to flash my card and having trouble making it work. Please re-post a download link to the file, if you would please!

4. bbdjam macrumors newbie

bbdjam

the link does not work, I have the same card that you can to help me please

5. boodaddyz thread starter macrumors member

boodaddyz

I have this ROM on my backup drive. I will dig it out, and re-post. It will be a few hours as I am not in the office right now.

6. boodaddyz thread starter macrumors member

boodaddyz

7. goodfidelity macrumors member

Will this work on any of the gigabyte R9 - 280x cards or are there different versions?

I have the same card, and just want to make sure before i go.

I guess this is the only file i will need right? And in case something goes wrong i can just swap between the 2 roms with the small switch?

How do i know if its rev 1 or rev2? Whats the difference?

Thanks!

8. Kartoonstew macrumors newbie

Bumping an old thread :)

Could anyone repost this ROM if they have it on their system still? Also, does anyone know if the REV 2 Rom would work on the REV 1 card?

Thank you in advance

9. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

For 280X, make your own ROM is a much better choice.

10. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

I've sold this card with my Mac, few days ago but i think that i have BIOS backups somewhere. I'll look for them tomorrow.

The thing i noticed with it, but I'm not sure if it's due to newest Windows 10 edition or the GPU itself and it's offset uEFI ROM, is that it CAN boot Windows in EFI boot and go through the whole installation until you install the AMD drivers. Then it starts behaving like every other HD79xx or R9 280(X) I've tried. And by that i mean that it will only boot into CSM Win with it's Mac EFI ROM.

11. Kartoonstew macrumors newbie

This does seem like the ideal solution, however struggling to find a clear cut guidelines for flashing the 280x. Yes, it requires research etc but it is not clear to me how this all works as of yet. Despite Netkas and Rominator’s passive aggressive messages haha, it is not as clear as they think it is.

Would greatly appreciate some clearer guidance on this, or pointing to particular threads etc.

12. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Search engine is your friend.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-overclocking-12-core-mac-pro.1762165/#post-19497121

13. Kartoonstew macrumors newbie

14. CrazyCreator macrumors newbie

15. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

You better create your own EFI ROM. Any other ROM may not fit your card.

16. CrazyCreator macrumors newbie

I'm too stupid to do that myself. I do not understand what exactly happens with this flash.
    My english is very, very bad and all instructions are in english.

Is the flash only the efi added / unlocked?
    The *.rom from the first post here corresponds exactly to my Card. But it can still be that it does not work?

translated with google from german

17. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

In this case, no rush to do it.

1) Do your card come with dual ROM? Do you know how to switch them? (I only recommend you try the flash if both answer is YES)

2) why you need boot screen? I won't doubt in some case it's a requirement, but what exactly make you need it? (If you don't really need it, and it's too risky to flash your card, may be you should keep what you have now)

3) Can you understand the English (and screen capture) in the following link?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/help-overclocking-12-core-mac-pro.1762165/#post-19497121

The link seems dead 2 years ago (as per the post above). Your best solution is to make the ROM by yourself. If English is your problem. Ask every single step that you can't understand. Lots of people here willing to help. May be someone from German can PM you and teach you everything.

18. CrazyCreator macrumors newbie

Yes the Card have a DualBios ... I think the little Switch is for this. :)
    Why Boot Screen? ... For select Partitions to start.

The Link you have postet is on my List :) and I can understand what I see/read.
    But I missing the "fixrom script" from Step 3

19. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

This link lead you to the fixrom script

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html