EFI Update failed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonashh, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jonashh macrumors newbie

Hi there

I've just tried to update my MBP's EFI to address the SATA II issue, but something went wrong.

I booted the machine like it said, and heard some beeps - didn't think much of it, but then it just went to the grey screen with Apple logo and the loader, and hangs there.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this, is there a key combination that can reset something or an restore EFI file somewhere I haven't found?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I had the same issue initially when trying to apply the update, but I forgot that I had a flash drive and a USB hub plugged into my system. If you have anything connected to the system or occupying its external ports, disconnect them, while leaving the system will connected to the power adapter, and power on the system. If you have an external/flash drive or iPod connected, the computer will try to run a disk check on the drive which could lengthen the startup process.

3. jonashh thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't got anything connected, besides the power source.

4. jonashh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well, nevermind - When I tried to start it up this morning it suddenly started fine.

5. jonashh thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I was a bit fast with my previous statement - It starts now, but 10-15 secs later, it freezes - Anyone got an solution for that?

6. jonashh thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI

The problem seems to have been fixed now, after a call to Apple support, they advised me to hold CTRL+OPTION+CMD(All left side) down, while pressing the power button for 5 secs.

It seems to have worked.