Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Ok, something in Skype is causing the PSU and PCI case fans in my 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 to speed up to around 1900rpm when Skype starts! lol

I'm running win81pro in efi mode, Skype is showing no abnormal cpu, network, or ram use. I'm guessing its a skype bug, or maybe a windows update reacting with skype. Its really wierd.

Fan speed verified with Macs Fan Control 1.2.1, and I can manually slow them down, its just auto where they act up.

If I quit skype, the fans go back to normal, and starting it again speeds them back up. I'm using skype 7.2.59.103.

Anybody else getting this?

Last edited:

doynton

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
On Windows 10 macs fan control kept fans on minimum (2000 RPM) until CPU hit 100C on all cores before increasing the speed at all which is far to cautious for me as the auto-shutdown for my CPU is 105C.

Crystalidea refused to disclose their algorithm for fan-speed vs temperature on auto setting so I've dropped it (it is unnecessary for me) although I do still use it on an old MBP (also running windows 10) just to run fans continuously at max as my sensors are blown on that one.

You could download HWmonitor to watch your temps when you start Skype. It could be your video drivers - that is worth looking into...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.