EFI32 Mac Pro: Buy Video Card upgrade now? (Also: Flashing question)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Feb 19, 2010.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I'm running an 8800 and have been extremely happy with it. However, it has come to my attention that many of the newest video cards wont work with my 2006 Mac Pro (EFI32).

I took a look at the 4870/90 flashing thread and googled a few of the models mentioned there. To my surprise, almost all of them have either been discontinued or are available in shortening supply. (!!)

I plan to keep this thing for about 2 more years. I play games on it for about 5 hours a week.

My question is: should I buy a new card now before they all disappear?

Also, has anyone bought a card 4870/90 *recently* from an online store and had good luck flashing it and using it under OS X? If so, what model and from where did you purchase it?

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

afaik we have been able to get all the new 4890 cards to work, but with minor issues such as Power cable warning popup at boot.

in a few weeks the 2010 mac pro is released and with it probably 5870. ofc we'll try make it work in old mac pros. if I were you, i'd jump on that train.

3. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I'll wait to see what the price-point is on the 5870. Even if it's expensive, hopefully it'll put the other cards on clearance. I don't use this computer for work anymore and I don't play the graphics-hogs. I just want to hold onto this thing for as long as possible without paying a lot.

Ever since I bought a mac pro I've been doing everything I can to not give apple any more money.

Thanks for the reply.

4. maghemi macrumors 6502

I personally just kept any eye out for second hand PC 4870 cards and eventually got one really cheap. There are bound to be plenty of those floating around for a while. Chances of new however are as you've discovered, few and far between.. And now they're often not reference design so may not flash.

5. Dai Bando macrumors member

Dai Bando

If it hasn't already been stated; Info I received today, is claiming refresh/speed bump of MPs, iMac and MBPs at the end of March.