Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EFi-X is the latest commercial product to allow PCs to boot Mac OS X. A company called Psystar made headlines in April when it introduced their "Open Computer" which was build from generic PC parts which also allowed users to boot Mac OS X Leopard. Psystar advertised the computer as an affordable alternative to an official Apple Mac. Psystar would install a modified version of Mac OS X on their computers to allow them to boot into Apple's operating system. Apple has since sued the company citing copyright infringement.

EFi-X takes a different approach by offering a hardware add-on that allows you to install an unmodified Mac OS X onto certain PC configurations. EFi-X is offering it as a tool for enthusiasts, and not necessarily for those looking to save money:
EFI-X™ is not for everyone. It is not for who wants to save money, at all. It is for enthusiasts that put expandability and extreme performances before anything else in their computing needs. We heard those voices, and we answered.
Only specific hardware configurations are supported, but if your PC fits those specifications, the EFi-X add-on promises headache free installation and upgrades.

Gizmodo reviews the EFi-X device and finds it lives up to its promises.
Well, I used it to turn my gaming PC into a Mac Pro over the weekend, and I'm somewhat amazed to say this, but it works perfectly. I grabbed all the updates straight from Apple—including 10.5.5 last night, so you don't have to wait for a hacked patch like you would running a typical Hackintosh—installed a whole bunch of software and have been using it for several days. It runs beautifully, just like a real Mac Pro.
The installation requires you to plug the device straight into the motherboard, and upon boot does slow down the Leopard boot process (up to 2 minutes), but once up and running the experience is described as seamless. The product sells for $170 and is now shipping.

Article Link

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Wonder if Apple will go after these people as well?

If they aren't screwing with the software, I cannot for the life of me see how, but I haven't read the EULA in awhile so I cannot say for sure. in any case, what an interesting approach, I am going to rate this positive.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm amazed by Gizmodo's review. It sounds too good* to be true.

*How "good" it is depends on your perspective...

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
So do Apple sue?
Or do we get the expandable desktop computer we have been begging for?

Money on door one? :(

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I just don't understand people's obsession with running OS X on PCs, especially if it's not saving money. ...Bragging rights I suppose.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
If they aren't screwing with the software, I cannot for the life of me see how, but I haven't read the EULA in awhile so I cannot say for sure. in any case, what an interesting approach, I am going to rate this positive.
True, but the device itself might contain Apple intellectual property.

rillo

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
S.FL
I just don't understand people's obsession with running OS X on PCs, especially if it's not saving money. ...Bragging rights I suppose.

Maybe because they like OS X, but don't have the funds for a Mac. I say this is a positive also.

deggs37

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Ohio

How could it not save money? You have no idea do you?

I could build a $3000 mac pro for $1200 tops.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I am normally opposed to these sort of things because they usually boil down to cheapskates trying to run OSX on inferior, crummy hardware which degrades the Mac experience into something much worse. I have no use for those kinds of people.

But these folks don't seem to be like that. In fact, the stress that it's NOT about saving money. They have a much better attitude about it and seem to be doing it for the right reasons.

So, ok, I'm gonna say 'good luck' to 'em this time.

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
That is craaazy. Especially when not saving money... Why bother :confused:
Besides if you want "Ultimate Performance" Get a Mac Pro...

Munix88

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
who knows...

With Apple's recent treatment of apps that don't seem to violate any rules but "compete" with them, I don't think it matters if there's anything against it in the EULA. I'm sure they'll find a reason to sue or at least stop the sale of it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
The whole Mac package will always be a beautiful thing and will continue to sell because of it.

However, this product could be nice for people who are considering a Mac in the future, but are scared to go all in on a $2,000 machine without first getting familiar with the OS.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Sorry, but I just have to fix this:

A company called Psystar made headlines in April when it introduced its "Open Computer" which was built from generic PC parts which also allowed users to boot Mac OS X Leopard.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The text in all of their pages say "blah blah blah" goes here. Such as "Support information goes here"

very slapped together website, and it seems its just vaporware anyway.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Maybe because they like OS X, but don't have the funds for a Mac. I say this is a positive also.

It could be saving money if the cost of the machine is factored in. We all know that Macs are relatively expensive.

How could it not save money? You have no idea do you?

I could build a $3000 mac pro for $1200 tops.
Did you read the article?

Here it is again:
EFI-X™ is not for everyone. It is not for who wants to save money, at all.

Link

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It could be saving money if the cost of the machine is factored in. We all know that Macs are relatively expensive.

Someone has to say it so I'll bite :p

They're not. Compare equivalent hardware between Apple and other name brands--looking at ALL the specs for an honest and complete comparison--and Macs are right in the same price range. Sometimes more than a given competitor, sometimes less.

What they ARE is:

a) More expensive than building your own or getting a cheap (for a reason) brand like an Acer. The same is true of Dell, HP, Sony, etc., so you can't call Macs relatively expensive on that basis. Rather, you should say that ALL name brand PCs are expensive. (Or even that any PC you didn't build at home is expensive.)

and

b) Available in fewer configurations. So you might find a particular name-brand PC config that meets your needs for cheaper--but you have to admit that it does so by omitting some things. Things you don't personally want, so that's perfectly reasonable to take into account--but it doesn't make the Mac overpriced.

This new product addresses b) rather than any price difference between comparable Macs and PCs.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
If they are using this to side step an Apple EFI firmware check or have a modified EFI it to boot on a machine with the correct specs, my guess is Apple will sue for infringing on that code.

BTW, price has now dropped to $150 from $170.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

What? I know EFiX hides behind the "we're not playing the cheap-Mac" game, likely to slow, if even a little bit, the stampeding of Apple's lawyers (also to avoid having any tech support) but Gizmodo built a sub-$800 computer in May (meaning it's probably about $400 now) that mostly trounces the 2.6GHz Mac Pro. Sounds like the money savings might be a perfectly valid reason to be "obsessed" with Hackintosh.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Sez who?

And don't give me that "I could build one" stuff. Building computers is a totally different game than buying one. I can fix my car for cheaper than my mechanic. That fact has NOTHING to do with comparing mechanic A with mechanic B, however. If we're comparing mechanics, I really don't care what you can do on your own.

So, who can you buy a pre-built computer from that's cheaper than Apple? 'Cause most of their machines are very competitive these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.