Eggs - are they really that bad for you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doju, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I'm a university student and eat a lot of eggs, they're filling and relatively high in protein. Some days I'll have four, and over the week I can have as many as like 15-20.

Are they really that bad for you?

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

true but it been shown not to be an issue because most of the cholesterol we have in our blood our bodies make. Consuming cholesterol from like eggs cause it to fall because our bodies react by seeing there is to much and their for reduce how much it makes.

Plus eggs do not contain much saturated fat which causes our bodies to make more cholesterol so it is a 1-2 punch to lower it.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are naturally high in Cholesterol. 15-20 is seemingly excessive.
    Maybe short term damage isn't major as your young, but long term ?

I don't eat meat very often (no i'm not celibate) so will eat eggs two - three times a week as they provide a good alternative source of protein.

6 eggs a week average here.

I think you need to ask an 'eggspert'

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I really like eggs. Because of the cholesterol contained in egg yolk though, I normally chuck most of them away and only use the egg whites.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't like to have more than 2 a day, had 2 scotch eggs for dinner :3. But I don't get why eggs seem to have this negative press of late. My grandparents have been eating 10 a week since they were kids and they're in good shape, good hearts.
    I also love me some protein.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When I was lifting hard I would eat 10-12 a day.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Cooked egg protein is one of the most absorbable protein sources there is. There's some disagreement over whether the cholesterol found in eggs is going to raise your serum cholesterol, and Harvard Medical School's publication talks about dietary cholesterol in eggs not having much of a negative effect on blood cholesterol levels of healthy people. That said, a simple answer to your query would be to have some bloodwork done.

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Hard boiled eggs are probably better for you than fried eggs, but the cholesterol in the yolk is HDL (or whatever the good kind is; I'm not a nutritionist).

I second the sentiment of just getting your bloodwork done.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The debate on eggs has gone back and forth. Go have a blood test. If your cholesterol is high, change your intake of eggs and have another blood test. Then you'll know how it affects you.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

They're great in moderation, but the cholesterol's a bitch. My doc told me to average one yolk or less per day. Whites are fair game.

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

“Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.” Philipus Aureolus Paracelsus

Water, in excessive quantities, can kill you. Eggs have fat, carbohydrate, and protein, all of which are essential for the human body. However, the balance of these, as well as the sources, is important. But everyone is an individual. Some people go on an Atkins diet, all the stuff we told people with high cholesterol to avoid, an have their lipid profiles improve. Of course, some do in fact have their lipid profiles worsen. Balance is key. Have your lipids checked (not just a total cholesterol - a meaningless number). If your lipids are fine, you balance the eggs with fruits and vegetables, and you exercise, you need not worry about your egg intake.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Two scotch eggs? Hmm, that's a new one for me. Does it also come on rocks? ;)

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I can also eat up to 20 per week though I'm trying to reduce that a little. When I've gotten my cholesterol checked its always been fine though--and I'm 39.

If my cholesterol levels ever rise above safe levels I'd obviously change my diet at that point. There is another guy my age who never eats eggs, or anything else with cholesterol, takes medication and *still* has problems with it. Sometimes, I really think its more genetic.