Ego Laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mBurns, Dec 26, 2007.

1. mBurns macrumors 6502

Hi everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the holidays. Anyways, the reason I'm posting is because I am looking for some opinions:

I have the opportunity to purchase an Ego Laptop for a very reasonable price from a friend.

The specs are as follows:

AMD Turion 64 1.8 Ghz
    80 Gb HD
    1 Gb RAM
    ATI RADEON EXPRESS 200 M Series

Obviously, this is a Mac forum and not a PC forum. I currently own a MacBook Pro and 900 Mhz iBook. I have someone who is very interested in purchasing my MacBook Pro. I love the design of the Clamshell iBooks (I owned one) and would not mind this laptop. As I already know, the specs do not match up to my current MacBook Pro. Someone buying this machine is buying it for the design rather then the functionality.

What are your thoughts: Do you think this machine is going to be a major hassle (if it needs repaired, etc)? Have you seen one of these? How will this compare to my MacBook Pro and iBook G3? Does anyone know how much VRAM the Express 200 M has (I know it is integrated graphics)..

Let me know, mBurns

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

This could be said for a lot (the majority?) of Mac purchases; I wouldn't sweat it.

If it uses standard parts, which it looks like it does, I wouldn't say so. A laptop's a laptop.

Had no idea what they were until I googled. They look like the clamshells. Pretty neat...

You can see yourself by looking at the stats. It'll perform much closer to your MBP than it will to your iBook. Beyond that, compare both on paper, as the MBP is nothing more than a PC laptop with an Apple chip inside.

Can't help on that. Overall, I'd say go for it if it's really something you want. I can understand digging the clamshell/retro look. Just make sure you do something with your other two laptops if you're not already; they aren't going to increase in value by sitting in your home. The biggest strike against the Tulip is that they (apparently) aren't sold in the US, so replacing one might take some ingenuity. Other than that, if you're getting it for cheap, and you're sure you'd like and use it, go for it...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you talking about the $5000+ notebook from Tulip from about a year ago? I guess it would be interesting to own one just as it will probably be a collector's item (and it's certainly distinctive, if somewhat big). Egh, if the price is right, and you could have fun with it, go for it.

4. mBurns thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup... you know exactly what I'm talking about.

5. mBurns thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to decide on purchasing this machine or not. Does anyone else have any thoughts? It's essentially brand new.

6. TheOnlyOasis macrumors newbie

7. Matiek macrumors member

It looks like an interesting conversation piece, I would just hate giving up a MBP for one. I'm sure the ego will turn out to be a collectors item, though. Plus you can always buy a new Mac and you may not get the chance to buy another ego at a good price.

What color is it? it's not leopard print is it? If it's leopard print I think it's clear that you'll have to buy it.

8. mBurns thread starter macrumors 6502

It comes with 7 skins including the zebra skin.