Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essiw

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Netherlands
I am playing Runescape (a MMORPG, which is a multiplayer online RPG) on a mac mini 6-core i5 (3GHz) from 2018. Even though it is a (more than) decent computer, it has a bad graphics card (Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB). And because Runescape is not optimised for mac (and not optimised at all), this means that i cannot even put shadows on in runescape, without the fps going down enormously. However the mac mini from 2018 allows for eGPU's via a thunderbolt connection. I was wondering if you all could help me find a eGPU that will be cheap and will do the trick.

I did some research myself and found a Razer Core X (costing 300 euros on amazon). I was wondering if this eGPU is any good or that you guys have any alternatives.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Check out egpu.io, which by the way shows the Core X to be the most popular.
1578138967017.png

I have the Core X Chroma and I find that model to be quiet and I think the Core X is an excellent (though expensive) option.

essiw

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Netherlands
Check out egpu.io, which by the way shows the Core X to be the most popular.

I have the Core X Chroma and I find that model to be quiet and I think the Core X is an excellent (though expensive) option.

Thanks for the answer, that list is really helpfull. Though I am wondering, why did you choose for the Core X Chroma over the Core X? Is the Chroma more quiet? Or are there other advantages why you choose it?

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Chroma can also act as docking station. The original Core X is only GPU enclosure while Chroma offers 4 USB-A expansion and ethernet port. As name sake, Chroma has RGB strip incorporated into it, but I don’t think you can control color scheme on Mac OS.

Razer Core X is cheaper, and I’m not sure if utilizing expansion ports has any negative impact on eGPU performance.. so I’d rather go Core X. Although somewhat bulkier looking (both are bulky anyway), Sonnet 650w is pretty nice also.

Reactions: essiw

essiw

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Netherlands
Chroma can also act as docking station. The original Core X is only GPU enclosure while Chroma offers 4 USB-A expansion and ethernet port. As name sake, Chroma has RGB strip incorporated into it, but I don’t think you can control color scheme on Mac OS.

Razer Core X is cheaper, and I’m not sure if utilizing expansion ports has any negative impact on eGPU performance.. so I’d rather go Core X. Although somewhat bulkier looking (both are bulky anyway), Sonnet 650w is pretty nice also.
From what you are saying I think the Razer Core X would be enough for my standards :)

However I was wondering. You are saying the Razer Core X is a GPU enclosure? Does this mean that there is not yet a eGPU inside, and I need to buy that separately? Or did I misunderstood you? I am quite new to these eGPU's, and my main language is not English.

mr_hyde

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
Italy
From what you are saying I think the Razer Core X would be enough for my standards :)

However I was wondering. You are saying the Razer Core X is a GPU enclosure? Does this mean that there is not yet a eGPU inside, and I need to buy that separately? Or did I misunderstood you? I am quite new to these eGPU's, and my main language is not English.

Yes, Raxer Core X and Raxer Core X Chroma are both just GPU enclosurers, you need to by also a GPU card (currently the Razer Core X accept basically all GPU cards, remember that Mac OS does not support NVidia cards).

There are other solutions that have also a GPU card included (different prices) but obviously, for most of them, you cannot change/upgrade later the GPU.

As already suggested check egpu.io for more info and also threads in Mac OS Catalina section of this forum (currently there are also some problems with latest Catalina and some specific eGPU).

IMHO if you are thinking to use a eGPU just for a game (and also you are not sure about the optimization of this game)... well it's an expensive solution and I'm not so sure that is is worthy.
Anyway I'm not an expert, just a curious owner of a Mini 2018 that recently gave a look at some topics and web resources related to eGPU, so probably it is better to wait for some other opinions/comments.

Bye,
Mr Hyde

Reactions: essiw

essiw

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Netherlands
Thanks for all the replies. I also asked on Reddit, and multiple people said that I should first try bootcamp. This is because Runescape is more optimised on windows than on mac. It would indeed be a very expensive solution to me problem if I need a eGPU for one game. So I am now first going to see if bootcamp fixes my problem.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I also asked on Reddit, and multiple people said that I should first try bootcamp. This is because Runescape is more optimised on windows than on mac. It would indeed be a very expensive solution to me problem if I need a eGPU for one game. So I am now first going to see if bootcamp fixes my problem.

Try that and also look at bootcampdrivers.com for optimised drivers for your internal / egpu cards.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
My ASUS XG Station Pro has been amazing! I play multiple games with it (all thru macOS though, I have no bootcamp experience).

essiw

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2015
Netherlands
Bootcamp seems to work a bit better. I am still getting low FPS (25-30) but it seems to run smoothly despite the low FPS. I updated my drivers (bootcampdrivers.com does however not work for intel drivers), however then suddenly Runescape did not work anymore (went into compatibility modus). Somehow there is a conflict with the newer Intel drivers and Runescape, so I downgraded the drivers and it was fixed again.

I guess I will use this solution, as it is much cheaper than to use an eGPU (which is more expensive than I though anyway...). Thanks all for the suggestions :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Umm.. Why? One port is the best setting to utilise the Thunderbolt connection to 100% graphics. All other stuff like usb ports will make the gpu perform worse.
If a case has 2 ports you are not forced to connect anything else.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
If a case has 2 ports you are not forced to connect anything else.
This is the Mac Mini forum. We don't need a quick-release docking solution because we don't pick up the Mini and take it to meetings.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Umm.. Why? One port is the best setting to utilise the Thunderbolt connection to 100% graphics. All other stuff like usb ports will make the gpu perform worse.
I have the Core X Chroma (for my laptop), and it only has a single TB port - works well for my needs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think a single TB port eGPU is a fail, there's enough selection and competition, you can find an EGPU that fits your needs. The Core X [non-chroma] is the most popular egpu on egpu.io and yet that has zero ports. Just one TB port for connecting it to the computer, no ethernet, no usb, not thunderbolt, nothing.

Reactions: Toonartist

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
This is the Mac Mini forum. We don't need a quick-release docking solution because we don't pick up the Mini and take it to meetings.
It does not matter what you do with one particular computer.
[automerge]1578320072[/automerge]
I have the Core X Chroma (for my laptop), and it only has a single TB port - works well for my needs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think a single TB port eGPU is a fail, there's enough selection and competition, you can find an EGPU that fits your needs. The Core X [non-chroma] is the most popular egpu on egpu.io and yet that has zero ports. Just one TB port for connecting it to the computer, no ethernet, no usb, not thunderbolt, nothing.
Please show me a 2-port TB3 enclosure.

Reactions: jagooch

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
IMHO if you are thinking to use a eGPU just for a game (and also you are not sure about the optimization of this game)... well it's an expensive solution and I'm not so sure that is is worthy.

You are absolutely right!
These eGPU enclosures are very expensive, especially here, where I live.

For gaming I would rather just build myself a PC from parts... a combination of 2 x 8GB RAM (DDR4, 3000 Mhz) and a R5 2600 Ryzen CPU is 180 Euros (with TAX), the cheapest Razer Core X I found is about 270 Euros.

And then, where is even the price of the GPU?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
It does not matter what you do with one particular computer.
Whatever use-case prompted you to burst into the thread and start ranting about "FAIL" doesn't matter either, but you're doing it anyway.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.