eGPU/atiko Node and rMBP 15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bevo, Aug 10, 2017.

1. bevo macrumors regular

Hi

So I'm trying to do some research before pulling the trigger. But I have a 2015 rMBP 15" (16 ram and 1TB SSD). I need to run a medical display monitor off of my laptop. I tried to with just the display adaptor, but it didn't work. I own a nvidia quadro K2000. I was looking at putting that into those atiko Node case and using a TB2 to TB3 adapter and running it under windows. Would this work? Its for medical display imaging only. No gaming or anything like that.

Thanks

2. organicCPU, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

Can't answer about eGPU, though interested in what display adapter you were trying and what connections your display offers?
    Was it a Thunderbolt 2 compatible Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable similar to this (not sure if a cheaper DisplayPort 1.2 cable would work for more than 4096×2160 px)?
    If your medical monitor had DisplayPort and your 2015 rMBP a Radeon R9 M370X, you'd get up to 5120 x 2880 pixel @ 60Hz.
    From the tech specs a Nvidia Quadro K2000 can serve up to 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz via DisplayPort.
    You should be able to reach the same resolution even on a low-end 2015 rMBP without a Radeon just by DisplayPort.
    I don't get the reason for using a K2000 as eGPU.

Edit: For this thread it doesn't matter, but maybe for others that will read this:

The link to the adapter cable in my post could be confusing. Of course a 2015 rMBP internally has DP 1.2 standard and can't benefit from a DP 1.4 (adapter) cable or provide resolutions of 5120 x 2880 pixel over a single cable.

To get a 2015 rMBP with dedicated graphics connected to a 5120 x 2880 pixel @ 60Hz display, one would use both Thunderbolt 2 ports with a single display. Cable solutions are hard to find, but could be two separate cables or some kind of Y-cable, whatever the display manufacturer supports.

IMO, the only benefit of a DP 1.4 cable right now is that you won't need to buy a newer cable for a future Mac. In bevo´s case a DisplayPort 1.2 cable is adequate.

3. bevo thread starter macrumors regular

I am trying to drive at least 1 of these monitors, NEC MD212G3, with a resolution of 2048 x 1536.

I didn't have that cable u listed on amazon. I was using the apple display port to dvi adaptor. Bought the hdmi one as well, but the monitor didn't have an HDMI connector. It was just display port and DVI-D. The dvi adaptor couldn't drive the resolution of the monitor.

If the cord you listed works (just purchased), I'll return the eGPU stuff. The quadro card adds the 12bit grey scale though.

4. organicCPU, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

The NEC MD212G3 won't display 12bit, but only 10bit according to the specs. You'd get the same, just by DP without eGPU.
    For 2048 x 1536 px an usual Mini DP to DP adapter cable version 1.2 like this is definitely valid and much cheaper.

EDIT: Another solution is to find a fitting Mini DP to DVI-D (dual-link) cable. Can be male or also female DVI, because a DVI-D (Dual Link) cable should have been supplied with the display. Those cables can be capable of up to 2560 × 1600 px at 60 Hz, but will probably serve only 8bit. If you have a free Thunderbolt port, I'd recommend DP and not the DVI-D route.

5. bevo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. DO you think the rMBP 15 could run 2 of those displays? its got the AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

6. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

You're welcome! I think it could work, but didn't test it with my 2015 rMBP. Maybe you won't get 60 Hz on two externals, but I think chances are good to get full 60 Hz even on two external displays with that resolution, both connected via DP. Further reading here:
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-to-manually-switch-graphics.html#extdisplays