Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Distace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
How can I use eGPU with my Mac Pro? Because there is only Thunderbolt 2. Can I use a TB2 -> TB3 adapter for that?

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Apple in it's infinite wisdom has chosen not to support tb2 for egpu. If you really must have egpu with tb2 then you can use link from poster above to get it to work with hacks. I hope you are comfortable with running scripts. I really don't understand why Apple has taken this stance?

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Yes. Actually, it is recomended for thunderbolt 1/2 equipped macs to use a thunderbolt 3 egpu case together with the adapter.

There is a script available to circumvent the thunderbolt 1/2 egpu blockage Apple implemented starting in High Sierra 10.13.4.

For older macs it might be best to use Sierra for this. I have a macbook pro 15 (2011) under 10.12.6 with a hardware disabled dgpu sonnet egfx 550, which runs a sapphire rx560 4gb gpu and I use it daisy chained with a caldigit thunderbolt station 2 with no problems at the moment.

For games the egpu performance is average, but for gpu based apps like davinci resolve or final cut pro x it is a godsend and makes your mac scream, so to speak. My rendering times are about 10x as fast compared to the internal intel hd3000.

Check https://egpu.io for information and troubleshooting, too. The community there is more widespread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.