Egypt

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HD303, Jun 25, 2008.

1. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

Going at the end of July, never been. Does anyone know anything about what to see (yes the pyramids do come to mind) but what else? Tips on getting around, what to watch out for - those kind of things.

Thanks.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Haggle before you buy anything, and check where it is made. Do the normal travel preparation: vaccines, don't drink the water, etc.

Enjoy your time, and posts pics when you are back! :D

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I went to Egypt a few years ago and had a blast. I would check out Cairo (obviously), Alexandria, Aswan, Luxor and everything in between. Consider taking a cruise down the Nile with a tour guide from Aswan and Luxor.

Just go out and by your favorite travel book on Egypt. My personal favorite was the Lonely Planet guide. You also might want to take some dry food with you to munch on. For me, Egyptian food was awful.

jon

4. juanm macrumors 65816

Go to the desert. Food is very good, if you know where to look (I've had bad and then good experiences) and very to quite cheap. In Cairo, ask for the restaurant El Borj, or something like that. The spinning dervishes are amazing. You'll probably get scammed a few times, but keep in mind that it won't be for more than a few dollars. :) Don't try to bring any illegal things (drugs come to mind...) into the country.

5. HD303 thread starter macrumors regular

HD303

Great stuff! I'll get the Lonely Planet book and keep my money close at hand. I'm a fairly seasoned traveller, but this is a new location for me and I really do not know much about the region so thanks.

What exactly is typical Egyptian cuisine?

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wish someone would has told me this before I went to Cairo. I flew in from heathrow and I exchaged whatever I had in my wallet into egyptian pounds. When I arrived you need to buy a visa before you can enter the country. The price was about 10 or 15 pounds but they won't take Egyptian pounds. Only English pound sterling. So I was stuck in the jetway unable to enter the country. They wouldn't take credit cards or anything. So after 45 minutes and the forth time pleading with the agent he finally caved and let me pay with Egyptian pounds. This is the first time I've ever been charged to enter a country. This was in October 2000 and I was there for my friends wedding. Things may have changed by now.

Otherwise I had a nice trip. I stayed in my buddy's apartment and got a nice glimpse of Egyptian life. I even got to drive around so my friend could roll cigarettes. Driving there is definitely a sport. Red lights don't mean much and lanes are optional.

Have a great time and try a turkish coffee while you relax by the nile.

7. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Hey.

Just wanted to drop by and say have an amazing time in Egypt. I went there 2 years ago for a school volleyball tournament. Cairo is a blast, but keep in mind it is 3rd-world and don't be freaked out by the "security" standing on the streets with guns.

Things to do: well since we were quite busy we didn't have much touring, but of course the Pyramids (Giza + Sphynx) and there is a museum next to it (sorry don't remember the name). Also there is Khan Market which has great traditional souveniers at bargain prices. And finally take a boat cruise (its actually a wooden raft almost) down the Nile. Its fun and you get a nice view of the beautiful sunset.

Enjoy your time there and yeah, keep a close eye on your money!

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

1. Island of Philae near Aswan.
    2. Avoid group tours. Be independent, read up and get a Blue Guide… Unless you are a sheep and you feel the need to get herded along. :eek:
    3. Food is variable - awful to great. But mostl excellent.
    4. Wash your hands regularly. ;)
    5. Drink lots of water and take a hat.
    6. Don't reveal as much flesh as possible — unless you're at some Red Sea resort.
    7. If you have time have a long cold orange juice on the verandah of the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan… Bliss.
    8. Be impressed by the pyramids — they are seriously big. But also be prepared to be under-whelmed by the Sphinx… :p

Have a great time. :)

9. HD303 thread starter macrumors regular

HD303

I'm traveling there on business so hopefully I'll have a few chances to slip away and view other attractions. I'm still a bit unclear what the scope of the project is I'll be covering (I'm a freelance photojournalist). Once I get more info I'll update.

I live in shorts for most of the year. Arkitect: you mention not showing much skin. Are shorts frowned upon? In 100 degree heat, it would suck to have to wear long pants, but I can adapt if needed.

10. Joel Beason macrumors member

I have never been there but it is one of the places I must go to before I dieeee ahhh your so lucky! Have fun!

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

For guys "shorts" — like Bermudas are fine… especially if you're clambering around ruins and the like, but if you're going to a mosque or such it helps to have some khakis on hand.
    But for women skimpy shorts are a definite faux-pas. :)

You'd be surprised what tourists think are appropriate sometimes.:eek::eek: