Eh... Apple.. Fix Your Site

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
CubaTBird said:
Dashboard on apples website as viewed by 91% of net viewers on pc's looks uber bad.. and thats with normal font.. as well as other parts of the tiger site.. there are many examples of it.. but here are a few..
who cares what it looks like on a pc :p
(Glib I know, but it's late!)
But seriously, I'm not sure how much influence an OS update would have on potential switchers? Anyone in that situation?
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
33
Two Words:

Get Firefox

Thats why IE sucks, pages turn out crapily (new word!) and suck and make the developer look bad... ALSO, I think it looks fine if you have DPI set to 120... above or below looks bad.
 

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
1,526
0
Long Beach, California
James Philp said:
who cares what it looks like on a pc :p
(Glib I know, but it's late!)
But seriously, I'm not sure how much influence an OS update would have on potential switchers? Anyone in that situation?
Hm, let's see, wouldn't the OS be the reason that switchers are switching? It's not that it's an OS update, but it's an OS. The Apple OS.
-Chase
 

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
1,494
0
Oxford/London
rendezvouscp said:
Hm, let's see, wouldn't the OS be the reason that switchers are switching? It's not that it's an OS update, but it's an OS. The Apple OS.
-Chase
That is kinda why I asked the question. And i would imagine people who are seriously thinking of buying an Macintosh imminently will realise that Tiger is an update (these people probably already know the various benefits of os x generally).
 

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
2,135
0
but switchers use ie.. well most of em i would think.. and i mean cmon' apple.. i thought they were a company of standards? at least make ur site so it works across the board.. a basic user on a chepo comp shouldn't have to forced to install fire fox if they wanna find out more info on mac os x tiger...eesh
 

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
1,526
0
Long Beach, California
James Philp said:
That is kinda why I asked the question. And i would imagine people who are seriously thinking of buying an Macintosh imminently will realise that Tiger is an update (these people probably already know the various benefits of os x generally).
Those extra features might really seal the deal for them. But I agree that they should be moving towards standards compliancy and making their website be viewable and usable under IE. I'm still hoping that Dunstan has a job in the web dev department at Apple (although something cooler would be fine too :D).
-Chase
 

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
5,490
1
Mac since 7.5
dotdotdot said:
Two Words:

Get Firefox

Thats why IE sucks, pages turn out crapily (new word!) and suck and make the developer look bad... ALSO, I think it looks fine if you have DPI set to 120... above or below looks bad.
FWIW, crappily ought to have 2 p's! :p
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Web development standards have been shot to hell. Apple's not the only one to suffer. All those idiot PC users are to blame for embracing Microsoft's version of the world wide web.
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
Lacero said:
Web development standards have been shot to hell. Apple's not the only one to suffer. All those idiot PC users are to blame for embracing Microsoft's version of the world wide web.
ive never had a problem view apple's website with IE or any other browser for that matter, IE is the web browser that doesnt comply to standards, which is why it is crap, argh (checks to make sure that it isnt in applications folder - good its still gone for good, at least i can delete if off of this computer unlike Windows)
 

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
2,381
33
CubaTBird said:
but switchers use ie.. well most of em i would think.. and i mean cmon' apple.. i thought they were a company of standards? at least make ur site so it works across the board.. a basic user on a chepo comp shouldn't have to forced to install fire fox if they wanna find out more info on mac os x tiger...eesh
Before a Windows user would be able to comprehend switching to a Mac, they would need to at least know that Firefox is a real web browser...
 

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
652
0
California
Perhaps Apple thinks that if a PC user visits the site and it looks garbled like that that they will think "Darn, my computer's broken. Maybe I should get a Mac." Admittedly there's a slight possibility I could be wrong.
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,494
0
Rockford MI
Rocksaurus said:
Perhaps Apple thinks that if a PC user visits the site and it looks garbled like that that they will think "Darn, my computer's broken. Maybe I should get a Mac." Admittedly there's a slight possibility I could be wrong.
Thats a good thought prosess i think for that to work a few more pages would have to turn out crappily.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.