Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

druggo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
this is my first mac, imac. having trouble with my ehd, seagate. i use it for storage for my photos & music. when i use "GET INFO" on EHD my available space is 2GB. the problem is there are only 2 files on there, music & photos. if i use "GET INFO" on each file individually the combined space used is 79GB. the ehd has a capacity of 250GB. this ehd was initially used on my windows laptop. i thought i erased everything when i synced it with imac. this is most frustrating. i thought apple products were easy to use, user friendly was what they said when i purchased it. please help

Nov 28, 2010
located
Not everyone knows what "Ehd" stands for:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under How do I get help with a hardware or software problem)
To edit your thread title, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Anyway, have you checked Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility yet and seen what it does report?
What is the file system used on the external HDD?

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • exFAT partitions created with OS X 10.6.5 are inaccessible from Windows 7
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Try to open the MOX CLI (Terminal) then use DAD to nvg8 2 the dir. on the ehd, then type ls -A and use SKS to press enter which will display on your CSI the files and folders, even hidden ones.

Problem?

druggo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
Try to open the MOX CLI (Terminal) then use DAD to nvg8 2 the dir. on the ehd, then type ls -A and use SKS to press enter which will display on your CSI the files and folders, even hidden ones.

Problem?

Dude, thats all greek to me. MOX CLI, DAD. Am fairly new to computers. Yes there are some of us. Can you pretend I know nothing, which in this case is so very true. I only use mac for surfing the net, storing & editing photos which i'm no good at.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Dude, thats all greek to me. MOX CLI, DAD. Am fairly new to computers. Yes there are some of us. Can you pretend I know nothing, which in this case is so very true. I only use mac for surfing the net, storing & editing photos which i'm no good at.
He was just poking fun at the fact that in your original question, you used the acronym "EHD" without ever explaining what it meant. :) (But I'm assuming it stands for, in your case, External Hard Drive)

You'll definitely want to open Disk Utility (in Applications -> Utilities) and take a look at the drive there. Maybe your drive is split into two partitions, and you're putting files on the smaller of the two?

druggo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
He was just poking fun at the fact that in your original question, you used the acronym "EHD" without ever explaining what it meant. :) (But I'm assuming it stands for, in your case, External Hard Drive)

You'll definitely want to open Disk Utility (in Applications -> Utilities) and take a look at the drive there. Maybe your drive is split into two partitions, and you're putting files on the smaller of the two?

thanks. & it was External Hard Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.