Ehd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by druggo, Mar 19, 2011.

1. druggo macrumors newbie

this is my first mac, imac. having trouble with my ehd, seagate. i use it for storage for my photos & music. when i use "GET INFO" on EHD my available space is 2GB. the problem is there are only 2 files on there, music & photos. if i use "GET INFO" on each file individually the combined space used is 79GB. the ehd has a capacity of 250GB. this ehd was initially used on my windows laptop. i thought i erased everything when i synced it with imac. this is most frustrating. i thought apple products were easy to use, user friendly was what they said when i purchased it. please help

2. simsaladimbamba

Not everyone knows what "Ehd" stands for:
    Anyway, have you checked Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility yet and seen what it does report?
    What is the file system used on the external HDD?

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Try to open the MOX CLI (Terminal) then use DAD to nvg8 2 the dir. on the ehd, then type ls -A and use SKS to press enter which will display on your CSI the files and folders, even hidden ones.

Problem?

4. druggo thread starter macrumors newbie

Dude, thats all greek to me. MOX CLI, DAD. Am fairly new to computers. Yes there are some of us. Can you pretend I know nothing, which in this case is so very true. I only use mac for surfing the net, storing & editing photos which i'm no good at.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

He was just poking fun at the fact that in your original question, you used the acronym "EHD" without ever explaining what it meant. :) (But I'm assuming it stands for, in your case, External Hard Drive)

You'll definitely want to open Disk Utility (in Applications -> Utilities) and take a look at the drive there. Maybe your drive is split into two partitions, and you're putting files on the smaller of the two?

6. druggo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. & it was External Hard Drive.