Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Yes that's correct. So I remember when I was in the UK a few years back, we used to have Ramadhaan in the winter, meaning the days very short and fasts very easy (No food, drink, intercourse). Currently in the UK due to fly back in a couple of weeks, I fasted the month of Ramadhaan here in London, where it is summer, days are long, and fasts much harder. So yeah, it varies each year, brings it back about 11 or 12 days each year.
I hope that answered the question, feel free to ask anymore though :)

I'm going to take you up on that offer to ask more questions... :)

If I understand this correctly then, the Islamic calendar has nothing equivalent to a leap day or a leap month to keep the months more or less aligned to the solar year? So every 30+ years it cycles back around?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Explain how your religion promotes the killing of all infidels (non-believers of Islam) and that those who kill these infidels are promised a place in heaven. Explain how Islam believes that there is God (Allah), but does not believe this God is the same as that of Christians and Jews.

Sounds just like Christianity to me....

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
He wrote to "ask questions." Sorry, if the questions were only supposed to be on that specific period and not about the faith itself. Also, AFAIC, it’s PRSI just by being about religion, no? Or is PRSI only when it’s controversial religion?

Anyway, I’m fine with having my posts deleted.

Well, why don't you try asking in a way that doesn't appear that you've already made up your mind? Those aren't questions you are putting to the OP.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Surely, you don’t like that I asked, right?

No, I’d like to hear that explained. I’ve yet to hear a good explanation. So, yes, it’s a question.

No, you did not ask questions. You threw out accusations, based on falsehoods and ignorance, and couched them in the thinnest gauze of inquisitiveness. It's like asking 'are you stupid?' - the answer is presupposed in the question.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

If I understand this correctly then, the Islamic calendar has nothing equivalent to a leap day or a leap month to keep the months more or less aligned to the solar year? So every 30+ years it cycles back around?

No leap day or month, the lunar calendar is shorter so there is a shift in the days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_calendar

AppleLight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008

No problem, I am more than happy to answer, and you are more than welcome to ask. I find it pleasing to bridge the gap between our cultures :) .

Yes that's correct. We have no leap year, no leap day or month. Our calendar is a constant one (as long as you don't compare it to the gregorian one). The problem arises when we do business with our countries that use a different calendar, then we need to convert it for them. So yes according to the gregorian calendar the lunar calendar 'jumps back' 11 or 12 days per gregorian year.

Every 33 years I believe is when it cycles back yes.

Any more questions? Believe me you will not tire me!

:)

As for the questions the user Aggie asked, then I can answer them if you wish, it is up to you to choose whether it truly is the answer you don't find suitable, or is the problem with something bigger?

In any case, create a thread, post the questions and I will answer them. However, do not post in the religion section as I do not have the required post count to post (I tried earlier with the burn a Koran thread- my views might surprise you lol).

AppleLight

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Well, just came back from Eid prayer. Was amazing, everyone dressed so nicely, I wore a Mishlaah (a coloured usually dark brown or black outer garment), with Ghutra (white scarf), and Thawb (white robe)

http://www.alrashidmall.com/bohulaigah/bisht-type-and-care.htm

I didn't wear 'Iqaal (the round circle on top), and my Mishlaah (also known as Bisht) was a dark brown colour.

I'll be with family, and people visiting for the rest of the day, will post an update later hopefully! :D :cool:

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Well, just came back from Eid prayer. Was amazing, everyone dressed so nicely, I wore a Mishlaah (a coloured usually dark brown or black outer garment), with Ghutra (white scarf), and Thawb (white robe)

http://www.alrashidmall.com/bohulaigah/bisht-type-and-care.htm

I didn't wear 'Iqaal (the round circle on top), and my Mishlaah (also known as Bisht) was a dark brown colour.

I'll be with family, and people visiting for the rest of the day, will post an update later hopefully! :D :cool:

Could you give us more details about where you are?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.